DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   French review Canon XF305 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/478397-french-review-canon-xf305.html)

Ivan Pin May 9th, 2010 10:22 PM

French review Canon XF305

Interesting review of Canon XF305 compared with Sony EX1/EX3: Canon XF305 XF300 test Repaire

Translation by Google: Canon XF305 test

"Conclusion.
The camera not have been long in hands, but it surprised us on several occasions.
First, long and very good optics. It reclassifies the camera squarely above the EX1/EX3 in terms of resolving power and chromatic aberration.
Combined with a good signal to noise ratio and a recording format of first quality, we can count on it to produce prodigious images.
Its only weak point is its nominal sensitivity slightly below Sony EX."

Jonathan Shaw May 9th, 2010 11:22 PM

I don't think there are many surprises there, awesome Canon optics, great product, just would have been better with bigger chips and hence better light sensitivity.

Tans Mark May 10th, 2010 03:00 AM

Ivan,

Thank you for this link.

So generally the Ex1 / Ex3 serie has better lowlight video, right ?

Also it is sad that this camcorder is ntsc only or pal only, so it is not possible to buy it in usa for making pal video.

To sum it up:

XF 305

- bad lowlight video
+ good stabilisation
+ good autofocus
- expensive
- ntsc or pal mode only

- used ex1 (or ex3)

+ good lowlight video
- bad stabilisation
- very slow autofocus
+ cheaper (4000-4500 usd on ebay)
- both ntsc and pal mode

So there is no smaller (xf or ex or pana hmc sized) camcorder with good lowlight capabilities, good stabilisation and good autofocus. Probably I will wait for pana 4/3 camcorder.

Ivan Pin May 10th, 2010 07:15 AM

Tans,
Yes, the EX1/EX3 has a better sensitivity due to larger sensors 1/2".

But, look at XF300/XF305 (according the french review):
- better resolution: 1000 TVL at f/5.6, 900-1000 TVL at full-open iris (EX1/EX3: 1000 TVL at f/5.6, 800-900 TVL at full-open iris);
- better treatment of chromatic aberration;
- better zoom range 18x (29.3mm - 527.4mm), which is wider at the wide end and longer than EX1: 14x, 31.4 - 439mm;
- better format MPEG2 4:2:2 at 50 Mbps (EX1/EX3: MPEG2 4:2:0 at 35 Mbps);
- better LCD: 4 inches, 1.23 Mpix (EX1/EX3: 3.5 inches, 0.9 Mpix);
- better viewfinder: 0.52 inches, 1.55 Mpix (EX1R: 0.54 inches, 1.2 Mpix);
- better ND-filter: 1/4, 1/16, 1/64 (EX3: 1/8, 1/64);
- better autofocus.

And this is from: Canon Digital Learning Center - Introducing the XF305 and XF300: Canon's New Pro Camcorders
In addition to the native NTSC 24p/30p/60i/60p frame rates, the XF305 and XF300 can be upgraded to record in PAL frame rates of 25p/50i/50p, for added versatility. This optional upgrade must be performed by a Canon Factory Service Center at an additional cost.

Tans Mark May 10th, 2010 08:23 AM

Ivan,

Thank you for the answer. You are right, if we forget the low light problem, the xf300/305 is better (also more expensive).

Michael Wisniewski May 10th, 2010 09:06 AM

Let's not get carried away with comparisons. Neither of these cameras is "bad" in low light or image quality.

The Canon has a slightly better overall image quality, and the Sony is slightly better in low light. In the big scheme of things, these are not huge differences. Considering the image quality of the EX1/EX3, anything that's in that range creates very, very good video.

Olivier Depaep May 10th, 2010 09:42 AM

How about macro shooting? The EX does it.

Don Miller May 10th, 2010 03:05 PM

The article DOES NOT say the canon is worse in low light.

Nick Wilcox-Brown May 10th, 2010 04:33 PM

Once they have completed uploading to the DVInfo FTP site, there will be 8 of my MXF clips online to answers many of the queries in these threads.

Chromatic aberration - there is none to speak of

Blue channel noise - none visible under daylight shooting conditions.

The lens is extraordinary for sharpness and resolution

Zoom - slightly odd at first use for a camcorder user, but it has been designed to operate light a broadcast camera - a colleague of mine has been trying the camera this evening and much impressed (he has been a broadcast guy for 15 years).

Image quality is beautiful with superb graduation to highlights and no unpleasant 'digital' burn-out of highlights, even when a strong light source is in the image.

Dynamic range seems good, with detail in highlight and deep shadow areas (see the MXF files).

Movement looks natural and there is no lack of detail (again, see MXF files

2 CF card slots allow the use of 32 / 64Gb cards. At 50mbs, a 32 card gives 80 min recording time - card cost GBP130 / €150

Screen is bright and detailed (same applies to VF) onboard WF monitor / Vectorscope is very usable and extremely helpful. Option of displaying in RGB / YPbPr

Edge Monitor provides focus guidance in addition to peaking and perfectly placed magnify buttons. Zebra patterns are configurable and usable.

3 types of IS: standard, dynamic (when walking) and powered for max focal length stabilisation.

Onboard audio is very configurable with gain, attenuation and peak limiter

And more.....

Still not had time to do gain tests - hopefully tomorrow during the day.

Nick

Nick Wilcox-Brown May 10th, 2010 04:41 PM

The XF 305 has macro capability.

Bearing in mind Canon's experience with low light and image processing from the stills world, my suspicion is that the XF cameras may equal or exceed the EX1R / EX3 in practice - chip size is not the only factor that comes into play and CMOS sensors are very capable. There would be no logic in providing +33dB of gain if it destroyed image quality.

Nick.

Daniel Caruso May 10th, 2010 06:13 PM

thanks, this is a great article.

and thank you nick, i look forward to the clips and the first couple were great as well. all of this talk is great for the brain, but i am counting the day til ProFusion to talk and see the camera. im with nick, cant see that canon would let this new series lack low light quality when all of their hdslr customers have raved about the low light capabilities in them. also not forgetting that the XF series has some major tweaking possibilities, could op for a good low light preset.

dan

Don Miller May 10th, 2010 06:58 PM

I felt the samples Nick posted looked less video-like than the EX1 or older Canon videocams. But it's hard to judge without direct comparison to another cam.

Bo Sundvall May 11th, 2010 02:14 AM

Hi

How is the light sensitivity compared to an XH-A1? Might not be possible to answer, but a wild guess?

Regards,

/Bo

Bo Sundvall May 11th, 2010 02:25 AM

Hi again

I feel very stupid for the moment. Where is the "DVInfo FTP site" where Nick has put the file examples for download? I can't find it, it feels as I've missed something....

Regards,

/Bo

Chris Hurd May 11th, 2010 05:42 AM

No need to feel that way, Bo -- I haven't published the FTP download links yet!

They're coming up, stand by... should have 'em all ready within an hour.

Don's comment above refers to Nick's sample clips already on Vimeo.