Alternative for a firewire port? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old June 1st, 2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Alternative for a firewire port?

Hi gang. I checked the manual before posting here, but I couldn't find an answer.

I see the 300/305 doesn't have a firewire port. This makes sense since I guess they don't actually send a DV or HDV signal. But is there any other way to easily send a signal for live streaming applications?

One important thing I do with my A1 right now is live streaming events for work. I connect the A1 to my laptop via firewire and stream live on ustream. I'm considering getting a 305 for work, but would I have any means of doing a live streaming event without a firewire port?
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:24 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

HDMI, component, SDI.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Chris.

But damn, none of those options are especially convenient for field work, are they? All I needed before was my XHA1, firewire cable, and a middle of the road laptop.

Are there any simply PCMI card options for HDMI, component, or SDI?
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Bob,

Check out the link below. The Matrox can be used in studio or on location. I'm thinking this may be my solution in more ways than one:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cu...-shooting.html

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:17 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, Jonathan, but I don't know if that will work. Any idea if the The Matrox will output a DV/HDV signal to the laptop?

I think the Ustream software will only work with DV, HDV or USB (webcam) video.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Major Player

I have the same need for live streaming.

Assuming there's a clean analog output, you could maybe use an a/d converter, like the Grass Valley ADVC-55 Analog to Digital Media Converter - which is bus powered over a six pin firewire cable. It's reasonably cheap.

At least I hope that would work, because firewire output from a cam is getting to be a thing of the past.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:54 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm thinking the 300/305 may not be for me. It seems the removal of certain legacy technologies seems a wee bit short-sighted to me. Certainly people would use this camera to live stream without expensive and potentially bulky extras? Certainly people with this camera would need to quickly and easily deliver SD video from time to time?
Old June 4th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #8
Major Player

Ten or twelve years ago I had a new XL1S, I walked my video to the live van and asked if he wanted my fire wire cable. He replied "huh". I talked with the same videographer yesterday about camera specs. Cameras in my price range finally have SDI. When I told him that he said "it's ok, but firewire is better, it goes right into my system without any work !! go figure.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Drummond View Post
Certainly people would use this camera to live stream without expensive and potentially bulky extras? Certainly people with this camera would need to quickly and easily deliver SD video from time to time?
That's why the XH series remains in the product line... add the Focus Enhancements FS-CF Pro for a tapeless workflow. Your standard definition and FireWire requirements are covered that way.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I know, Chris. I'm just a bit disappointed. I'm in the position to buy the latest and greatest gear, and I was ready to play with a new toy :)
Old June 29th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #11
Major Player

Bob,

A comment from a colleague made me dig a little deeper - both these cameras can output SD via component - does that help?

Nick.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders