DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   XL-H1 SDI vs XF305 SDI (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/481080-xl-h1-sdi-vs-xf305-sdi.html)

Miguel Queiroz June 28th, 2010 11:11 PM

XL-H1 SDI vs XF305 SDI

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and this is my first post. However I have been a watchful reader here for years now... And was looking forward to start participating in the discussions.

I have a small production studio in Portugal called Artimedia.

I had 2 Canon XL-H1 that I used for events, publicity and short feature films. I recently sold them and expect to buy 2 XF305 soon (as well as a Canon 7D). However, I was wondering if there is any significant difference between the image exported by SDI on a XL-H1 and a XF305...

Also, are there any portable battery operated SDI recorders, or are them all like the Datavideo HDR-40, for indoors/studio usage? This all matters because I'm trying to understand if there are any advantages to a XF305 over a XL-H1, for studio shooting with direct capture through SDI.

Thanks!

Bruce Rawlings June 28th, 2010 11:57 PM

I would say the answer to recording a better image from HD=SDI would be the nanoFlash unit. Not sure if anyone has got a 300 or 305 yet as there have not been any postings. I the cameras are released this week.

Nick Wilcox-Brown June 29th, 2010 12:13 PM

Hi Miguel,

The image quality is significantly better than H1, and the lens is much sharper and chromatic abberation virtually non-existant.

SDI is HD, but Component is switchable HD / SD (so there must be an internal conversion to SD taking place)

Nick.

Miguel Queiroz July 5th, 2010 07:38 AM

Thank you both for your replies. I was considering the possibility of not buying a XF305 and sticking with the XL-H1 until an interchangeable lens successor for the XL-H1 was released. But that was in the possibility of both SDI were similar in quality output. But yes, the lens is better with the XF and if the resulting image is better even in SDI full HD output, then I'll probably risk the XF305.

What bugs me is the unpredictability of the release of an interchangeable lens model...

Chris Hurd July 5th, 2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miguel Queiroz (Post 1545355)
What bugs me is the unpredictability of the release of an interchangeable lens model...

Actually it's very easy to predict if you study the previous history of their camera announcements. For example, the XL H1 made its debut at the Canon Global Expo in New York back in September 2005. That show comes around once every five years. It will happen again this September. I don't have any inside information on their new camera releases and I have not been NDA'ed on anything coming up (if I had then I wouldn't be posting this), so I'm just making a prediction here. My predictions are usually pretty accurate and in this case it's not hard to put two and two together. Hope this helps,

Miguel Queiroz July 5th, 2010 10:27 AM

Thank you for the follow up, Chris. That sure does help... ;)

Quite frankly, these are very difficult times to make decisions. On one hand there's my long time devotion to Canon (not just a matter of long time... I really love Canon image and colors the best). On the other hand there are a couple of contenders that I can't stop thinking about.

RED Scarlet 2/3" Interchangeable Lens - Quality should be outstanding but price for "ready to shoot" rig and release dates are vaporware.

Panasonic AG-AF100 - Looks interesting because has DSLR depth of field advantages with a pro camera body features, on a 4/3" sensor. Not to mention interchangeable lenses (all kinds) and a price around $6000. Downside is having to wait for the end of the year... Not too much.

Another advantage that any of these two contenders have is that I won't need to buy a complementary Canon 7D for shallow depth of field and film look.

How would Canon new codec would compare to AVCHD image of the AG-AF100?

Anyway, at this point, I sure help Canon surprises me in September with some groundbreaking camera instead of simply a XF305 with interchangeable lens.