DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Log and Transfer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/481611-log-transfer.html)

Shufiyan Shukur July 9th, 2010 10:44 AM

Log and Transfer

Hmmmm ... FCP's log and transfer -- can't review clips unlike AVCHD files where you can review clips and even set in an out points before ingesting ....

Can anyone help please? What do I need to do to enable me to review the Canon files in L&T window?

Thanks.

Nick Wilcox-Brown July 9th, 2010 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Should just work, I can preview & set in/out in L&T with FCP 7 and the plugin.

The only weakness of the system is that the folder structure has to be kept intact, either on the card or, if you copy the card, keep the directory intact by copying the whole CONTENTS folder to disk.

On the mac, if you loose the structure, there is a big problem. Prem CS5 may be able to see the files - anyone?

Nick

Barlow Elton July 9th, 2010 09:54 PM

So are you actually editing native Canon XF codec files, or does it have to transcode to ProRes?

Nick Wilcox-Brown July 10th, 2010 04:25 AM

The plugin transcodes MXF to ProRes. Avid supports the native camera files, as I believe does Premiere CS5

If the fie structure is not maintained, the L&T plugin cannot see the MXF files

Nick.

Jeff Anselmo July 10th, 2010 10:33 AM

Hi Folks,

Can't confirm with FCP's Log and Transfer, but on Adobe CS5, Canon's MXFs files are indeed working.

Downloaded Nick's native MXFs clips last night and imported them into Premiere Pro. All clips (including audio) play fine.

@Nick--I believe all those clips are from the pre-production XF cam; are there downloadable clips from a production, working XF camera?

Thanks,

Michael Assadourian July 10th, 2010 12:09 PM

I currently have a XF305 on loan to me.

As for Final Cut, I have FCP 7 (FCS3), and L&T sees the clips off the camera no problem. I can set in and out points too. I will try to capture a 3-5min clip, and see how well L&T scrubs with that.

My NXCAM loaner would lock up Final Cut (force quit needed), scrubbing thru footage.

Nick Wilcox-Brown July 10th, 2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo (Post 1547148)
@Nick--I believe all those clips are from the pre-production XF cam; are there downloadable clips from a production, working XF camera?

Jeff, Sorry have not managed to get my hands on a production camera. To my knowledge there are no production clips around at this moment, but I suspect someone here with a new camera will be able to help?

Nick

Jeff Anselmo July 10th, 2010 10:57 PM

Hi Nick,

Thank you for all your work and input on the XF! And really appreciate those clips!

And great work on the Morgan Video; it really showed the usefullness of the XF's stabilizer :)

Best,

Barlow Elton July 11th, 2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Wilcox-Brown (Post 1547085)
The plugin transcodes MXF to ProRes. Avid supports the native camera files, as I believe does Premiere CS5

If the fie structure is not maintained, the L&T plugin cannot see the MXF files

Nick.

A bit bummed by this, but then it's Apple/FCP and that means QT or nothing at all. ProRes is great but just a huge disk space hog. I'd prefer editing native MXF and then export a sequence to ProRes for better quality retention. Drat.

Gonna take a much closer look at Premiere.

Nick Wilcox-Brown July 11th, 2010 03:21 PM

Avid now looks like a clone of FCP and edits MXF natively....Oh and it supports ProRes too. Just a thought...

I'm sure the radically updated FCP, due at some point forwards will address these issues, but maybe not and perhaps iPhones and iMovie really are the Apple future?

Nick.

Shufiyan Shukur July 12th, 2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Wilcox-Brown (Post 1546896)

The only weakness of the system is that the folder structure has to be kept intact, either on the card or, if you copy the card, keep the directory intact by copying the whole CONTENTS folder to disk.

On the mac, if you loose the structure, there is a big problem. Prem CS5 may be able to see the files - anyone?

Nick

Weird! All of a sudden I am able to view the files at Log & Transfer! :-)

Jeroen Mestdag July 15th, 2010 10:13 AM

Same problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Wilcox-Brown (Post 1546896)

I'm having the same problem as the original poster. But my files haven't suddenly appeared yet. I have tried everything, but it seems that there is no way to transfer to FCP without the plugin from Canon. We were able to use a new Canon, but there was no cd-rom with software in the package.

As the plugin is nowhere to be found on the internet, could I ask you, Nick, or another well-doer to put it online somewhere? We use FCP so I need the plugin for Mac.

Thanks in advance!