Does the Vectorscope Have Adjustable Gain? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:28 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Does the Vectorscope Have Adjustable Gain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Mors View Post
I wonder if Blackmagic Designs Ultrascopes do offer 2x Gain...
Doesn't look like they offer 2x gain either. Its not mentioned on page 22 of the Blackmagic UltraScope Manual.

Excerpt:
"The Vectorscope Display uses a vector view to show the colors in a video signal. You can see color bar video levels by using the color boxes in the graticule. All you need to do is select 75% or 100% color bars, depending on the standard of color bar test signals used in your facility!"
Martin Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Mors View Post
Let us know what Canon says.
I WROTE:
In meinem steten Bemühen die Bildqualität meiner Videos zu verbessern bin ich auf die von Profis gern verwendeten DSC Labs Charts zur Farbkalibrierung von Videokameras gestossen. Diese erfordern eine 2-fache Verstärkung des Vectorscopes und es hat mich sehr verwundert in meiner XF300 nur 1x und 5x zu finden.
Da es sehr praktisch wäre die Colormatrix an Hand des Charts live an der Kamera justieren zu können und da die XF300 eine professionelle Kamera ist würde ich mir die Nachlieferung von 2x Vectorscope per Firmware wünschen. Mehr Details finden Sie in diesem Forumsthread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf...ml#post1728000

ANSWER:
Sehr geehrter Herr ...,
vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage.

Bei der Entwicklung der XF300 haben sich unsere Ingenieure dazu entschlossen eine zweifache Vectorscopedarstellung nicht zu implementieren. Dadurch, dass dies Darstellungsmöglichkeit nicht für Ihre Kamera vorgesehen ist liegt auch ein entsprechendes Firmwareupdate nicht zur Verfügung, sodass wir Ihnen diese entsprechend nicht übermitteln können.

Wir bedauern sehr Ihnen an dieser Stelle keine andere Information übersenden zu können.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Canon Services & Support
Martin Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #18
Old Boot

(Don't you just adore Google Translate? . . Meaning:"Glauben Sie nicht nur beten Google Translate?")

Well, that was a very fulsome and creative mind-expanding experience from Canon.

Thanks for sharing Martin.

Still a great camera.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2014, 06:22 AM   #19
Trustee

Ruh-oh....old thread revival. I just ordered a Pocket Camette only to now realize my vectorscope needs a 2x function. My Hamlet Microflex only has 1x and 4x. Is it possible to simply visually estimate and draw an imaginary line in my mind to where 2x the distance should bring the vector tip? The 4x function on my scope just seems to stretch and enlarge the vectors, I don't seem to remember it rearranging how they expand. I don't need heavenly perfection, simply looking to bring a lame stock JVC ProHD camera into line.......the damn thing won't even white balance properly, it's all over the vectormap!

I am having a hard time understanding how the only real color alignment charts on the market are incompatible with 99% of the cheap easily accessible scopes out there.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 11:40 PM   #20
Trustee

Another thread bump/update, simply because a google search brought this post to page 1 top of page.

A workaround I found somewhat useful, was to put the vector colors on 1x halfway to the boxes, then increase camera saturation until the most saturated color hit a box. Sort of like another version of faking 100% saturation. This method basically extends the color along it's path, so you can at minimum be on the appropriate and correct line, and balance your colors properly. Not perfect, but for most of us, works well enough for the accuracy of the equipment we are trying to align/adjust.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders