XF eyecup design at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old July 15th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Inner Circle

XF eyecup design

I see the product shots with the usual Canon minimalist design but in an NAB interview in the Canon booth, I am seeing a larger eyecup design. Is the large one an add-on, replacement or what?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I don't have a good photo of it to show you, but the large one is included in the box.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Many thanks to Doug J. for submitting this pic of the standard-issue eyecup...

Click to embiggen.
Attached Thumbnails
XF eyecup design-xf350_viewfinder.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Ya. Okay. That's good. Below is what I was seeing in the marketing photos. I ask because the eyecup design in those photos looked the same as the A1, which I find useless, and was wondering if I'd been putting pu with it all these years from accidently throwing it out or something. I'll take this over to that forum.
Attached Images

Old July 15th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Many thanks to Doug J. for submitting this pic of the standard-issue eyecup...
Chris, thanks for posting the photo I took of my camera. I have no idea how to that.

Personally, I don't like the eyecup at all and I'm already looking around for something to replace it with. It's way too big for my eyesocket and it isn't rigid enough to provide a solid point of support during hand-held shooting. For someone else it might be fine, but I feel like I'm putting my size 10 foot into a size 13 shoe when I'm using it.
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Doug,

Just wondering what you think of the new Canon?

Did you mention that you own one?

And, I guess I have to ask--How does it compare to an EX1R?

Best,
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:17 AM   #7
Vortex Media

Yes, I have had the XF305 since last week.

It's a very nice camera with an amazing picture for 1/3" sensors. There's some things I like about it better than my EX1R, and many things I definately don't like. I wish I could take the best elements from both cameras and build a hybrid of the two.

For now, I don't have the time to write a detailed review or pit the two cameras against each other. Maybe I'll do that later, but that kind of head-to-head comparison isn't important to me and I just don't have time right now to do it right. It wouldn't be fair to either camera to thow out a bunch of superficial comments or post some half-baked demo footage. If only there were more days in the week!

I will say one thing, though. You won't go wrong with either camera. They are both excellent and if you have strong feelings towards one or the other, I say buy it and start making money with it.
Old July 16th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the comments Doug!

That's too bad you can't do a proper review. You're input would be invaluable as always :) (And a side by side comparison with the EX1/R would've been great, as you own both cameras.)

Much appreciated,
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Well this topic has strayed from the eyecup. :-)

There's an interest in these two cameras other than my own so I am going to start another thread for owners of both XF300/XF305 and EX1/EX1R to easily share likes/dislikes without the effort of quality shootouts....your opinions from your perspective in your market.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf...ml#post1549350
Old July 16th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi Les,

Sorry for the hijack! Just got excited that Doug has an XF305 camera :)

And thanks for starting that new thread, cause I'm also interested in a comparison.

Best,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders