DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Ghosting on the XF300 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/481942-ghosting-xf300.html)

Milton Raposo July 15th, 2010 12:58 PM

Ghosting on the XF300

I've just been doing some tests on the XF300 on 30p and 24p and I'm getting some ghosting. You know,movements of hands and things like that that leave that trailing effect.

What am I doing wrong? What should I be doing? Is it my shutter speed?

Barlow Elton July 15th, 2010 01:03 PM

My first guess would be to turn off noise reduction. That's probably the culprit.

Steve Phillipps July 15th, 2010 01:26 PM

Not like I'm getting with the Panasonic HPX371 is it ? http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...ise-issue.html

Nick Wilcox-Brown July 15th, 2010 02:18 PM

Milton,

Can we see a clip or couple of stills? I have not noticed anything on my clips.

Barlow, there are advantages to leaving NR on auto, especially at higher gain settings (according to Alan Robert's report).

Randy Panado July 15th, 2010 02:26 PM

Are you talking about high shutter stuttering or actual ghosting?

Tom Bostick July 15th, 2010 03:43 PM

cant tell you much without a screencap

Milton Raposo July 16th, 2010 10:00 AM

i don't have a clip to hand right now but it's that effect you get when the clip is interlaced. let's say it's a clip of someone waving their arms. the arms leave a very slight trail.

i will try to post a clip later today.

Milton Raposo July 16th, 2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Panado (Post 1549067)
Are you talking about high shutter stuttering or actual ghosting?

ghosting. but it's not massive but just enough to be noticeable.

David Chilson July 17th, 2010 05:56 AM

Mitch,

I get the same thing on my XHA1s when I shoot in 24p with people moving their hands. Here is a link to a video where it happens. I think it may be the back and forth motion.

Guy McLoughlin July 17th, 2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chilson (Post 1549577)
I get the same thing on my XHA1s when I shoot in 24p with people moving their hands. Here is a link to a video where it happens. I think it may be the back and forth motion.

This looks like junk frames from footage that has not been properly reverse-telecined. I used to see this with footage from my Canon HV20 or Panasonic DVX100B before I learned how to properly reverse-telecine my footage.

24P footage should just look blurred with fast motion, there should never be a double or ghost image.

Milton Raposo October 14th, 2010 12:17 PM

Finally got some footage up. Look at the first artist, at the start of his presentation. He waves his hands a bit and leaving that trailing effect.

Nick Wilcox-Brown October 14th, 2010 12:51 PM

Try taking a still image in low light at 1/48 or 1/24 second and then wave your arm around. The result WILL be blur.

To freeze a moving object, one has to use a shutter speed of 1/250 or 1/500th minimum ie 10x the speed you are using to shoot smooth video.

This is not a camera issue, it is physics.

Nick.

Peter Moretti October 14th, 2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton Raposo (Post 1578722)
Finally got some footage up. Look at the first artist, at the start of his presentation. He waves his hands a bit and leaving that trailing effect.

The Bermuda National Gallery Biennial 2010 on Vimeo

Milton,

Are using some type of low light or cinema mode that lowers the shutter speed? It looks to me, FWIW, like 24P w/ a 24fps shutter. Normally you'd use a 48fps shutter.

Doug Jensen October 14th, 2010 01:55 PM

I agree with Nick and Peter, the wrong shutter speed has been used. That's all that's going on.

Milton, why don't you use Canon's XF Utility software to examine one of the offending clips and let us know what the shutter speed actually was. This is a perfect example of how metadata can be helpful -- and the XF305/300 saves TONS of it.

Guy McLoughlin October 14th, 2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton Raposo (Post 1549033)
I've just been doing some tests on the XF300 on 30p and 24p and I'm getting some ghosting.

This looks like normal motion blur from using a slow shutter speed. Based upon your sample, I would be far more worried about the sound quality you are recording. ( i.e. The sound is weak, has a limited tonal range, lots of LAV mic rustling sounds )