i movie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old August 28th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

i movie

Hi
Is anyone using imovie to edit XF footage ? I usually use FCP myself but just wondered if it was any quicker for event work and the like. I have the new version of imovie but can't say I have ever opened it. I have a job in mind though were the client wants me to shoot during the day and have the edit ready for an evening viewing. So I was going to do a very basic edit to music and thought i movie would maybe be a quicker way of working. Any thoughts?
Mark Moreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I haven't yet got an XF but do know iMovie & FCP. iMovie has some very nice library features that allow you to scrub through a load of clips very quickly, trim them & drop them on the timeline so you can do quick assembly edits very rapidly. The nice thing is that you can export an XML project file & later import that into FCP to do a 'proper' edit.

The problem that I can foresee is that iMovie will not work with native XF files so they will need to be transcoded preferably to ProRes (if you have FCP installed on the system) although AIC is still a reasonable CODEC if you are doing simple editing. Whether the extra time spent transcoding will be worthwhile because your editing time is shorter I really don't know.

I suggest that you just go ahead & try the workflow. iMovie '09 is a very sophisticated & capable piece of software that is often ignored & looked down on because it is seen as consumer software supplied free with every Mac. There is a good overview on Ken Stone's FCP website iMovie 09
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Nigel,
Very interesting so I think I'll stay with FCP especially for this job I have coming up. Shame really as I would like to give i movie a chance especially if its as good as everyone is saying.
Cheers
Mark
Mark Moreve is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders