DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon introduces XF105 and XF100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/484083-canon-introduces-xf105-xf100.html)

Steve Struthers September 3rd, 2010 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Beckett (Post 1565609)
This is definitely Canon's answer to the HM100 from JVC and HMC40/41 from Panasonic. It looks like it's aimed at exactly the same market, and from first glances it would be my first choice if I was buying now.

Not least, the stock lens is a LOT wider than the lens on the HM100 and HMC40, that alone would sell it to me.

(Not to mention it looks a lot less 1980s than the Panasonic!)

I think you've hit the nail on the head here, Mike. When I look at the general size, shape and configuration of the XF100, I agree with your argument that Canon is going after the market niche that the HMC40/HM100 fit into. It seems we're witnessing the rise of the small, inexpensive prosumer camcorder here, as opposed to high-end consumer-grade camcorders that have some manual controls.

If Canon can keep the price relatively low (say $2295 - $2495), they'll have a seriously competitive product on their hands. I find the camera is very good-looking in terms of style - it looks like a mini XH-A1. It beats the Panasonic in the cosmetics department, and looks a bit more professional than the JVC.

Glen Vandermolen September 3rd, 2010 08:18 AM

I wouldn't compare the chips off of consumer HDV and AVCHD cameras to a CMOS chip off of the XF300. I'm sure the XF300 chips - hence, the XF100 chip - are vastly superior. All things being equal, 3 chips will always beat one, but you have to figure in the size of the chips. Are three 1/4" chips better than one 1/3" 2.2 megapixel chip? We'll soon see.

Here's an interesting video of chroma key tests between the XF305 and the XH G1. I'm not sure if both cameras are outputting 50 mbps 4:2:2 through their HD/SDI ports (it's in Japanese), or even if they're using their HD/SDI ports. The G1 might output 4:2:2 color through the HD/SDI, can anyone confirm this? Regardless, the superior 1920x1080 chip image is readily apparent:

YouTube - canon422-305.mov

My belief is to always, always start with the best image you can get. The better it is at the start, the better it will look through post. If a 2.2 megapixel chip, 50mbps, 4:2:2 camera will help get that better image, then by all means use it.

Stuart Brontman September 3rd, 2010 09:18 AM

With the little bit of testing I've done with my little HDC TM700K, I've been favorably impressed with what the three 1/4" CMOS sensors can do. Granted, it's the 1080 60p footage that really shines, but I'd love to do a comparison with the TM700K and the new Canon XF105/100... It won't replace a higher-end camera, but it shows what can be done with three small chips and a higher bitrate. Now if we could just get monitors and hardware to deal more effectively with 1080 60p...

Paulo Teixeira September 3rd, 2010 08:46 PM

If it was the same price of the HMC40 or close, I'd be undersided but if by the time this thing is released, Panasonic releases a successor to the HMC40 with 1080 60p, the choice would be extremely easy for me. Canon would be forced to think twice about releasing the low model for anywhere close to $3,000. A street price of $2,000 would be perfect although $2,300 probably wouldn't be that bad.

I can't believe Sony is able to get away with selling the V1u for so much. They are very lucky.
They really need to release an AVCHD version of it.

Bill Koehler September 3rd, 2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen (Post 1565672)
I wouldn't compare the chips off of consumer HDV and AVCHD cameras to a CMOS chip off of the XF300. I'm sure the XF300 chips - hence, the XF100 chip - are vastly superior. All things being equal, 3 chips will always beat one, ...

Perhaps, but I will still be intensely interested in any and all HF-S21 / 20 / 200 vs. XF100 comparisons.

Monday Isa September 4th, 2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira (Post 1565917)
.....I can't believe Sony is able to get away with selling the V1u for so much. They are very lucky.
They really need to release an AVCHD version of it.

Back when the V1 was released it was the first Sony prosumer HD camcorder with 24p on the market at that price. The other HD camcorder was the HVX200 which was quite expensive once you added in the P2 cards. They were able to charge what they did. Now I agree with you that they need to release a avchd version of it. It was a nice little camera back in the day.

Paulo Teixeira September 4th, 2010 01:24 PM

Back then was one thing, but the current price is around $3,300 at B&H. That's a little over $1,000 more than the current price of the HMC40 with the XLR adapter.

Monday Isa September 4th, 2010 01:34 PM

I know, but that's kind of my point. Sony sold enough of the V1's that they probably feel no need to drop the price. Kind of like Canon and the Gl2 which is still selling new just under $2,000 at some places. They figure someone will buy it at that price no need to drop it.

Jim Martin September 4th, 2010 03:41 PM

Actually, the XH-A1 w/ 24p/f came out before the V1 by about six months.....

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com

Monday Isa September 4th, 2010 04:34 PM

Yes you are correct. Ooops. :)

Per Nicolaisen September 7th, 2010 06:40 AM

released for sale

Any news or speculation, when this cam is released for sale?

Chris Hurd September 7th, 2010 07:02 AM

According to the official press release from Canon, the release date is targeted for January 2011.

Chad Ream September 10th, 2010 08:45 PM

Being a fan of Canon's cameras I am excited to see this model. I held off on the HFS20 or equivalent model. In on sense its a no brainer for me to pick one up, but I feel that its a HFS20 one step up. While it has many pro features it should be priced at $2K or less sharing the same price point as the old GL 1 and 2s.

Since we have a XF300 and a XF100 model line up it raises the question, is there a XF200?

Chad

Chris Hurd September 11th, 2010 12:18 AM

Will there be an XL F? That's what I want to know...

Jim Martin September 11th, 2010 02:57 PM

Ditto....Ditto...Ditto............Chris, You are supposed to be in Amsterdam....or Deutchland.....telling us all about whats a comin'.......

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com