Shock mount that goes into mic holder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old September 1st, 2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shock mount that goes into mic holder?

I could kick myself I sold my XL cameras thinking I would go the 5d route and let my microphone mount that goes into the shock mount already on the Xl/XF series go with the camera.... now I can't remember what mount was called and can't find it after searching for the last half hour. Is anyone else using this set up where the shock mount goes in the mic holder and not on the camera, and if so can you tell me what the brand and model number might be? Thanks! I have a trap like a steel mind apparently.
Jeff Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Try Sennheiser, Audio Technica, and KTEK....

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Rycote and Rode both make a shock mount on a metal rod that mounts into a Mic Clamp, The Rode is an SM5.
Les Howarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Gibbs View Post
I could kick myself I sold my XL cameras thinking I would go the 5d route and let my microphone mount that goes into the shock mount already on the Xl/XF series go with the camera.... now I can't remember what mount was called and can't find it after searching for the last half hour. Is anyone else using this set up where the shock mount goes in the mic holder and not on the camera, and if so can you tell me what the brand and model number might be? Thanks! I have a trap like a steel mind apparently.
Jeff why not buy a shock mount that fits into the hot-shot (unless you need a light there as well?). One of the cool features on the XF is being able to switch the LCD to the right side - with a mic in the way it's not so cool. The first thing I did when I took the XF out of the box was remove the mic holder.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Good question, I think it's just because I bought one initially that was very difficult to get in and out--had to force it almost-- and the idea of two suspensions seemed like a good one. Is there one in particular you recommend?
Thanks everyone for your help.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Maybe someone can tell me the accessory shoe size it's not in the manual? Once I had settled on the other method I relied on that but with the screen going both ways using the hot shoe does make more sense.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:17 AM   #7
Major Player

Then again... mounting on the hotshoe may make it more difficult to use the custom buttons on the handle, so you gain a bit and lose a bit.

The hot shoe is the standard size (ie: not the annoying "mini" hotshoe on some consumer camcorders). What's more, the hotshoe can be removed (by unscrewing) to reveal a 3/8" thread, so you could slot any accessory with a 3/8" thread there (including a standard mic suspension).

And... there's another 3/8" thread mount further back towards the VF, providing a second mounting option. It's possible to move the hotshoe to this rear position also, so plenty of flexibility.

I have Rode, AKG and Sennheiser suspensions - they're all fine and have various mounting options. Just do a search on B&H and you'll be right! (the Rode is a good cheap option).

Good luck,

Josh
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders