Canon Expo/NYC & XF305/XF300 -wow! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon Expo/NYC & XF305/XF300 -wow!

I was fortunate enough to spend the afternoon at the Canon Expo in New York City. Most of my time was spent with an XF305 in my hands. All I can say is wow!

The Canon folks were great-knowledgeable, accessible and they left me alone to play.

The camera "felt" good. Nice weight, nice balance.

I very much liked the LCD, easily on par with EX1 (all of these remarks are based on a well lit set and pick ups in areas with decent light) and I loved the fact that the LCD can be viewed from the left and right side of the camera body.

I liked the ergonomics, the buttons and switches felt like they were in the right place.

I liked the menus-and in the past I thought Canon's menu structure was poorly structured. I liked the choice of color in the menus-the orange/white combo really jumped out and never bled as in the case with reds and blues I've seen on my Sony and Panasonic cams.

I really liked a button labeled "status" which allowed full access to review all of the camera's settings, very handy.

The lens was sharp and the images produced on a 42"LCD looked great.

I can"t speak of how captured images looked. I did not shoot to a CF card and bring it back to my studio for me to examine. All I did as "play" with the XF305 for 90minutes and afterwards all I can still say is-wow!

I'm sure others will have their own views.

Thank you Canon for putting on a good show. I look forward to a "real-world" test drive of the XF305/XF300.

Be well

Rob
Smalltalk Productions
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:33 PM   #2
Space Hipster

Thanks for the review, Rob.
What camera do you use now? You compared the XF to an EX1. Is that what you're used to?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:11 AM   #3
Major Player

Glen-

Thanks for the thanks.

I wouldn't really call the above a "review" but rather a first impression.

I have owned and used: JVC DV500, DVX100B, HVX200, EX1. Each camera worked very well, each camera had it's drawbacks. 1/2" (DV500 & EX1) is lovely because of less light needed and shallow dof. DVX100B made very nice sd images and played well w/others. The HVX200 + P2 was easy w/FCP but I never liked its lcd. On my last shoot, we used the Pannie HPX500 which also made some lovely images.

Canon's XF305/300 takes many of the above features and puts them into a body that, a first blush, I find comfortable.

I really need more time w/the XF305/300 so that I can shoot some footage and evaluate the requisite workflow.

That all said, what I have seen I do like.

YMMV

Be well

Rob
Smalltalk Productions
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Major Player

The Luminous Landscape is mostly related to outdoor stills, but there was a long review of the XF 305. Interesting comments about the on / off switch (though the overall review was favorable).

The Luminous Landscape
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Major Player

richard-

thanks for the link.

very enjoyable read.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions
Rob Katz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders