Shooting sports with XF305 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old November 1st, 2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shooting sports with XF305

I'm planning a documentary on marathon running and am wondering how the Canon XF305 with its long GOP will handle movement of the runner's legs and arms?

Anyone have any video they can share?

Would it be better to shoot in 60p?
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Bob,

The XF305 is just as suited for shooting sports as any other HD camcorder. The same general principles that apply for shooting sports also apply to the XF305. You'll have no problems shooting motion with any of the camera's codecs, and anything bad you've heard about long-GOP is outdated.

Unless you're going to shoot with slow-mo, I'd recommend using the camera's 50MBps 1080/30P settings.

Here's some waterskiing footage I shot with my XF305. Not exactly the same thing as runners, but at least it's fast-moving action. Most of this footage was shot 720P/24 @ 60fps because I wanted it in slow-mo, and that was the only reason I shot with 720P. If the XF305 could do 1080 @ 60fps I would have used that instead.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Shooting sports with XF305

David,

Thank you for your example. It's not the same as shooting a runner, as the skiers are moving all the parts of their bodies together. But the splashing water does not show any weird artifacts.

Was the water skiing footage shot at 1/120th shutter speed?
Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Bob, I think your hesitation about shooting sports with the XF camera is sort of misplaced. The codec does not have a problem with motion, it is the CMOS chips that people do not like for sports. The main reason being skew.

Skew shows up more on the telephoto end and when you have to pan the camera at a decent pace (like shooting a hockey game).

So the best thing to do is to go shoot some runners and try to put yourself in the worst possible panning situation (runners at a 90 degree angle running past at a distance) and see if the camera performs up to your tolerances.

Let us know your results!
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:09 PM   #5
New Boot

How about the 305 for motorbike racing? We plan to use this camera (x6) dotted around the circuit.
Richard Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 01:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

According to the description this slow motion montage was filmed "...mostly with a Canon 7D, 1D Mark IV and an XF300."

I am hoping to get an XF300 for motorsport use.
Old December 4th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Rallycross and Autocross, both shot at 1080p30:

YouTube - New England Region SCCA - Ocean State RallyX 2010

YouTube - Autox - NNJ SCCA - September 2010
Bernard Racelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Shooting Sports with XF 305

Shooting water skiiers, motorcycles and autocross is not the same as shooting runners.

The reason is that all the parts move together as one unit.

Runners, on the other hand, have legs and arms that move independently of their body.

I'm concerned about blurring of the arms and feet.

Does anyone have any footage of runners they can share?
Old December 9th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Bob, are you planning on purchasing a camera for the project?

Do you have any cameras now?

I think you might be making a mountain out of a mole-hill so to speak. Runner's arms and legs moving is no problem for any modern HD video camera. The only issue in some cameras (CMOS) is very fast camera movement which will make vertical edges go diagonal a bit.

Take a look at the water rushing by in Doug's waterski video. That motion is ten times as difficult to capture than runner's arms and legs. The camera will be fine for your uses.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #10
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Prichard View Post
I'm concerned about blurring of the arms and feet.
No need to be concerned. You NEED blurry motion in the arms and feet because it would look completely unnatural if there wasn't any. The XF305 is going to produce the exact same results as every other video camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders