DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Shoulder mount for XF300,305? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/488614-shoulder-mount-xf300-305-a.html)

Bob Prichard December 7th, 2010 08:53 PM

Shoulder mount for XF300,305?

I switch between shoulder mount and tripod mount in the field and am wondering if anyone has found a good shoulder mount brace for this camera?

Jim Martin December 8th, 2010 11:29 AM

Personally, I like the Birns & Sawyer 1 handle unit (your right hand is in the stirrup of the camera w/ zoom & trigger control)....or the RedRock shoulder mount deluxe...

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com

Bob Prichard December 8th, 2010 12:29 PM

Shoulder mount for XF305,300

Because I need to go from tripod mount to shoulder mount while in the field, I am really looking for a shoulder mount that will attach to the rear of the camera and leave the tripod mount free for tripod mounting.

The Canon XL1 had such a mount. I am look for something similar for the XF300 series.

Appreciate any links to products that might work.

Thanks.

Jim Martin December 8th, 2010 02:28 PM

What a lot of people here in Hollywood do is get the Manfrotto base and sliding plate (357 or 577)...put 1 on the tripod and 1 on the shoulder mount.....slide off of one and on to another. The plate on the 357 is the same as the manfrotto 501,503, and 504 head. The one on the 577 is the same as the one on the 516 and 526 head.

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com

Mark Moreve December 8th, 2010 02:43 PM

Over here in the UK ! a lot of people are using the Pag Orbitor system. I Like it a lot and use it for both my 5dmk2 and also my xf305. Here is a link to there website which I'm on. I don't get any money or equipment from PAG they just asked me about the film I shot on the 5dmk2.
PAG Professional Broadcast Equipment

Jeff Lower December 8th, 2010 03:16 PM

Here is one link I found. It's not cheap, but looks nice.

Cinevate Inc.

Robert Turchick December 8th, 2010 03:48 PM

I've been able to use part of the rig I use for my 7D. Essentially it excludes the offset for my z-finder. Nice part is it's all quick release and the shoulder mount itself has a plate to slide the whole rig onto my tripod.

As for brand, mines a mix of redrock, caivision, zacuto and some pieces I fabricated.

Glen Vandermolen December 8th, 2010 03:53 PM

Does the XF300/305 have a plug so you can control the lens and record button with a remote zoom control? If so, it'd be nice to attach one to an arm on a shoulder rig so you can zoom and roll without removing your hands from the rig.

Bob Prichard December 8th, 2010 03:59 PM

Shoulder mount for XF305,300

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Turchick (Post 1596412)
I've been able to use part of the rig I use for my 7D. Essentially it excludes the offset for my z-finder. Nice part is it's all quick release and the shoulder mount itself has a plate to slide the whole rig onto my tripod.

As for brand, mines a mix of redrock, caivision, zacuto and some pieces I fabricated.

Pictures would be helpful.

Nigel Barker December 9th, 2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen (Post 1596416)
Does the XF300/305 have a plug so you can control the lens and record button with a remote zoom control? If so, it'd be nice to attach one to an arm on a shoulder rig so you can zoom and roll without removing your hands from the rig.

It has a regular LANC socket according to the specifications.

Robert Turchick December 9th, 2010 09:14 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's some pics...sorry for the quality. It's early am!
The first two are in DSLR mode with the offset and FF.
The last two, well...you get the idea!
I didn't have time to adjust the XF position...it should be a bit further forward. And before anyone asks...the velcro strips on the rails hold a pair of EW100 receivers and yes, I velcro my lens cap to the top of the lens shade since I'm prone to losing them.
The handle and shoulder pad are homemade (as if the raw aluminum didn't give it away!)
Setup works extremely well and is super light.