XF Utility on PowerPC Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old December 8th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #1
Major Player

XF Utility on PowerPC Mac

I'm hoping to buy two XF305's soon, but want to verify that the XF Utility 1.1 will work on a PowerPC Mac. I called Canon customer service, asking for a copy of the software. Unfortunately, they will not make it available outside of the camcorder package.
According to their specs (both customer service and Canon's website) the software works on OS X 10.5 with FCP 6.0.3 and higher, which I have. However, they cannot verify that it works with PPC Macs vs. Intel, saying that it "should." I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it does because my 4x2.5 GHz is still a strong machine.

Has anyone had success installing/using the XF Utility 1.1 on a PowerPC Mac?

Thanks in advance,
Nicholi
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't want to burst your bubble but I would be pretty amazed if it does work on PowerPC. Apple haven't been shipping PowerPC based machines for over 4 years & OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 which shipped well over a year ago does not support PowerPC so for Canon producing a PowerPC version would have a near zero priority.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm aware of Apple's history and the odds of the XF Utility software being compatible with PowerPC machines. Canon customer service guaranteed that if my machine is running OS X 10.5 and Final Cut Pro 6.0.3 or higher, it will also run the XF Utility. I'm not quite convinced, which is why I'm reaching out to the community for help finding a verified answer.

I work for a university and have to be very precise and strongly justify any purchases, especially of this magnitude, with plenty of research, paperwork and documentation. If the XF305 requires a new computer, then I'll do the research and include my findings in the proposal. However, I will not automatically assume incompatibility and cost the school another $3000 on a computer just because I don't have a real answer.
Old December 9th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Trustee

To spend $15k on two cameras and not want to upgrade your computer doesn't make a lot of sense to me. By getting the 300's instead of the 305's you'd save $2K right off the top. Or if you have to have the HDSDI outs, get a 305 and a 105 and save about $5k! That could be put towards a healthy computer!

The G5 no matter how tricked out is painfully slow compared to even my 2 year old 8-core. Even if the G5 worked, when transcoding files you would be wasting a bunch of time waiting. Just to give you an idea, my 1st gen Intel MBP which is much faster then any G5 takes almost 3 times as long to transcode files as my 8-core MP which as I mentioned is two years old.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders