XF300 vs. XH-A1 Low Light/Gain/Noise - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old March 7th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: XF300 vs. XH-A1 Low Light/Gain/Noise

Quote:
Must say, though, and this might be an unpopular view:
That's not a unpopulair view, it's just facts. I would expect that the xf300 outperfomes the much older xh-a1 in any way, it's different and new technology and it's twice the price. (I bhought my xh-a1 for 3000 euro, the xf300 costs 7000 euro here)

Unfortunately I was not able to open the mov file, gave me an error. That the xf300 seems to loose a full stop when in 1080p though is something you would not expect in a camera this class, 1080p is a format that's used a lot.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bakland View Post
The full res video (thanks for linking that, too) only confirmed my feeling when I saw the Vimeo version. I actually find that the XF300, though a stop darker, is giving the superior image in all cases here. Yes, the A1 is brighter and, at quick glance and in the smaller vimeo window, is superficially the one that jumps out. But, when blown up and seen in the full res version, it is confirmed to me that the A1 is far grainier and far inferior in terms of detail and color quality.
This is what I would expect to see as the XH-A1 is after all an HDV camcorder & thus only 1440x1080 resolution versus the 1920x180 of the XF300.

The video evidently has had no colour grading applied but it would be interesting to compare the footage if the exposure were lifted in post rather than boosting gain in the camera.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:09 PM   #18
Major Player

I agree with what's being said here. The fact the XF300 is 422, full 1920x1080, etc. really gives it an advantage even with the slight difference in low-light. It's also important to note that for anyone actually lighting a scene will have varying levels of light/dark in their image with different amount of noise...this test is a basically flat image in the shadow-mid range...so it's one of the worst shots you'll really see these cameras giving you. (both of them, I own the A1).

I found these tests to be similar to the ones that put this camera against the EX1r (the XF Im talking). The EX1 seemed cleaner and more sensitive, but the detail in the image was much better on the XF. A little cleaner isn't always better.

I look forward to possibly going with the XF300 on my next feature. It'll be a nice step up from the limitations of my A1.
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Hmmm.

I shot along side an older EX1, and also found that the EX was considerably sharper.
Old March 25th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #20
Tourist

Differences between the Canon XF300 and XH-A1 after gamma correction of the XH-A1 clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMoAswVWqZ0

John
John Sterk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders