Buying from US (to UK) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old March 5th, 2011, 04:23 AM   #1
Major Player

Buying from US (to UK)

What are the pro's and con's of buying a camera from the US where they are significantly cheaper?

Here's one i found earlier: Canon XF100 HD Professional Camcorder on eBay (end time 02-Apr-11 00:24:08 BST)
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Buying from US (to UK)

Three big objections to buying from this eBay listing would be that it's NTSC rather than PAL, the difficulty of getting anything fixed under warranty & the fact that you will have to VAT & customs duty plus shippers fees totalling at least 25% on top of that headline price. Any one of these issues would be enough to deter me from purchasing.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes, agreed. Warranty and support are serious considerations as with most complex electronics, things can and do go wrong and a couple of hundred pounds saved now are as nothing compared to the catastrophic damage that can be done to your business/reputation if your gear lets you down when you're busy and there's no support for it.

In the case of the XF cameras, this is a particularly bad idea, of course, because this is not a world camera like some of the Sony and Pana models: The model sold in the U.S. does not record in PAL-compatible frame rates (i.e. 50i and 25P). You'd have to pay several hundred pounds to Canon UK or USA to get them to enable all frame rates. If you wait until it gets to the UK, you might find that Canon UK won't do it on a model you've imported yourself!
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Major Player

As i thought re HMSC. Completely forgot about the PAL/NTSC issue since i thought these cam's did both. And then there's the warranty.
I'm actually moving to Bangkok, so it would be interesting to see what the prices are like there. Apple computers are around 20% cheaper in Thailand and i'm looking for a new MBP, but haven't been able to track down prices for the XF there.

Thanks for your input.

PS, am i right in thinking tax is not applicable to used equipment?
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #5
Major Player

You'll get hit with an import duty (based on declared value) for anything you ship in, used or not. Within the UK, businesses have to charge VAT even on used gear (if they're VAT-registered). Private individuals don't have to charge VAT, of course.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders