DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Custom Picture settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/492872-custom-picture-settings.html)

Mark Moreve March 9th, 2011 03:46 PM

Custom Picture settings

Hi
Anybody know of anyone making Custom Picture settings for the XF305?
Mark

Jeff Anselmo March 11th, 2011 12:33 PM

Re: Custom Picture settings

Hi Mark,

These are from Brian:

CP files for Canon XF Cameras - Canon XF Video 300/305/100/105 forum on Vimeo

I've been using Doug Jensen's CP files (but don't have that info on hand at the moment). For low light settings, I usually turn off CP and adjust in post.

Best,

Matt Ford March 11th, 2011 01:10 PM

I have DJ's CP file. Good DR but if I remember correctly his sharpness is way up? The consensus seems to be going the other way from what I read on this forum to avoid IQ issues.. I think mine are at -3 this week!

Nick Wilcox-Brown March 11th, 2011 02:50 PM

I run my new XF305 at the 'BBC' settings created by Alan Roberts. Nice and neutral, not too sharp. Great for general use and far nicer than the camera default.

Let me know if you want a CP file.

Robin Davies-Rollinson March 11th, 2011 04:10 PM

I've got my camera set up to Alan's BBC setting as well - (since I spend most of my time at BBC Wales, it's only natural...)
It does indeed give a good neutral look, which can easily be treated in post if required., though I tend to keep the look as it is.

Didi Schoeman March 15th, 2011 07:58 AM

Dear Nick

I would be interested in the BBC's CP file settings. Do you know whether the settings would work on a Canon XLH1 camera? We will be using both a XLH1 with Nanon-Flash and an XF305... my aim is to try and get a neutral look for both cameras to better match intercutting in post.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Didi Schoeman

Lou Bruno March 15th, 2011 10:59 AM

I have one of the setting designated as a "BBC" profile. However, I punched-up the color gain a few notches as I felt the material appears a little flat for my taste. All in all, a great setting.

Antony Michael Wilson March 15th, 2011 11:34 AM

The BBC profile is definitely too sharp, as Lou and I have been discussing on another thread here. Alan's settings work well on static objects (such as a zone plate chart) and are an excellent starting point but if there's fine patterns and motion (!) involved in any way, the detail does need to come down even further to allow for baseband 1080i viewing or SD down-converts.

Nick Wilcox-Brown March 15th, 2011 03:38 PM

Hi Didi,

Ohers have said that it is possible to use the CP files on other cameras and it may be worth trying and then doing a side by side comparison.

Alternatively, the XHG-1 is effectively the same as your XLH1 with a fixed lens and I would be inclined to use Alan's settings for that camera. They are towards the end of this pdf: http://bit.ly/gnVe4b

Lou Bruno March 15th, 2011 06:40 PM

I tried to transfer the files from my XF-300 to the XF-100, but to no avail via the 300's SD card.

The best suggestion is to copy down the profile settings from the Canon Pro series, both past and current, and manually enter the profiles- then save to the SD card.

Didi Schoeman March 16th, 2011 07:06 AM

Thanks Nick, will have a look at those and play around with various settings.

Andy Solaini March 17th, 2011 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Wilcox-Brown (Post 1628207)
Hi Didi,

Ohers have said that it is possible to use the CP files on other cameras and it may be worth trying and then doing a side by side comparison.

Alternatively, the XHG-1 is effectively the same as your XLH1 with a fixed lens and I would be inclined to use Alan's settings for that camera. They are towards the end of this pdf: http://bit.ly/gnVe4b

Are the settings mentioned in the pdf ones that produce the best clips to edit with (ie a but more neutral) or are they to produce the best/most realistic looking clips straight out of the camera? I find my XF300 produces clips that are quite uncontrasty and unsaturated straight out of the camera but I am looking for settings to make them look realistic straight off. I tend to try and minimise my time editing if I possibly can.

Nick Wilcox-Brown March 17th, 2011 04:50 AM

Andy,

Better looking than the standard 'look' but neutral enough to work well for post-production. If you want a more finished look, then try some of the CPs that have been created by users.

Andy Solaini March 17th, 2011 04:58 AM

Nick I have searched but with no success for user made CPs. Any idea where I can find any?

Nick Wilcox-Brown March 17th, 2011 09:33 AM

CP files for Canon XF Cameras - Canon XF Video 300/305/100/105 forum on Vimeo