getting footage off an XF100 and to the client in a viewable form as soon as possible at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old March 20th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

getting footage off an XF100 and to the client in a viewable form as soon as possible

I've got a sports client who wants the game footage as soon as the game is complete. Game footage will be 1 hour, and i'll be recording it at 25mbps. They will be uploading it to a website that allow them to analyze the game film and teach from it. I'll be using an XF100 to do the job. How long would you quote the client that it would take to import the footage from the camera, format it, compress it, and burn to a DVD for them. I'll be using my laptop to do the work and will be bringing it to the game so I can do the work before leaving the site. I'm not going to be in a position to be recording straight to final cut however.

I don't have the camera yet, so I'm not familiar with all it's operations and features. Is it possible to record to a usb jump drive? If I was able to do that, would the footage be viewable and useable by the client?

How would you do this?

Thanks. Sorry I'm such a novice.
Paul Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: getting footage off an XF100 and to the client in a viewable form as soon as poss

Once you've imported your clip(s) and have a folder of .mov files, drag them into toast for an automatic/menu-less play DVD. Simple as that.

Or output from your editor to whatever web format you're needing. Could happen in a matter of a few hours at the most -- with your computer doing most of the work.

These XF cameras are great for that exact kind of project. Fast workflow. I've used mine for same such stuff (basketball games and team review).
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: getting footage off an XF100 and to the client in a viewable form as soon as poss

Record to 8GB cards, they hold about 40minutes each in 25Mbps. Once the first card is full you can take it out while recording continues on the other, and transfer the data using a card reader.

If it's sports you might get better image shooting in 50/60p 1280x720 at 50Mbps CBR or 35Mbps VBR, while shooting in 25Mpbs CBR is anamorphic 1440x1080. I don't think there is an extra overhead converting from a higher bit rate.

BR, Erik
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders