WB white or Grey? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Major Player

WB white or Grey?

In the past I've been mainly a stills guy and was just wondering if it's best to use a grey card (like an SLR) or white card to white balance a camcorder like the XF300 when out in the field?
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: WB white or Grey?

Andy check out ExpoImaging - ExpoDisc also great for mixed lighting. Avoid the cheapies off Ebay.

Cheers.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:21 PM   #3
Space Hipster

I use a white card, or whatever's white in the vicinity of the camera.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Andy check out ExpoImaging - ExpoDisc also great for mixed lighting.
Allan, I've looked at the expodisc product pages a few times and I still haven't quite got the hang of how it works. Maybe I'm a bit thick but would you mind explaining in a few words what it does? For instance, do you still need to use cards for WB when using the expodisc?
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:35 PM   #5
Major Player

According to my read of this:

ExpoImaging - ExpoDisc Neutral

.... you twist it onto your lens, point at the light source and take white your white balance as per which camera you're using.

Can anyone testify to how this performs vs. cards?
Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi
I use an Expo Disc with my Canon GL-2. If you look at their site carefully you will see that you should move the camera to the subjects lighting & WB unless you are in the same light.
Mike
Mike Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:37 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Much better Tim and you can do it yourself quickly and accurately.

Col, no cards .. I frame the shot then clip the E-disc onto the lens and do a custom WB. As long as I don't move the cam and reframe in different light, I use the same WB. Time comes into it for me, setup etc. imo shooting with a flat custom preset and grading in post is just a waste of time and resources and my stuff goes into archives for use by other programs.

Also read where you should buy an Expodisc large enough to cover the largest diameter lens you have, including stills cam etc then you can use it for all, but large ones probably mean you have to slip the lens hood off your vidcam, another no no. When you sell your cam sell it with the E-disc, after you demo it, might help the sale :)

Cheers.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:22 AM   #8
Trustee

Thanks Allan and Tim, I obviously either didn't find the right page or read far enough down it. Got the idea now. Seems better than white cards in the rain anyway!
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders