DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Evf caps have arrived-get yours now! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/493485-evf-caps-have-arrived-get-yours-now.html)

Lou Bruno March 23rd, 2011 11:53 AM

Evf caps have arrived-get yours now!

Canon has just received the XF series EVF caps. The cost is $2.95 each and shipping is $6.95. I would order a few directly from CANON PROFESSIONAL PARTS as they can get lost easy.

The part#: D54-016-000 Phone#1-866-510-1335

Here is what I did: There is a very small hole on the side of the Viewfinder Cap. I took a small elastic hair band and tied the band to the rear shoulder clip located above the output area. I placed a piece of velcro above the output area and a piece of velcro on the outside of the small cap. The cap now swings-off the EVF and I attach same to the velcro. This is a REAL easy piece to lose-real easy. So, now the EVF cap is attached to the body of the camera at all times.

Why the EVF CAP in the first place? Because, there is a DEFECT in the TOP layer of the EVF. Even a small amount of light COULD cause a yellow burn-in on the EVF surface. Canon must know this and has introduced these EVF caps which are really like PLUGS that are placed within the rubber eyecup.

Good luck.....hope you never have a problem like I did-even on a cloudy day and I was aware of the EVF problem from prior posts.

Philip Lipetz March 23rd, 2011 01:12 PM

Re: Evf caps have arrived-get yours now!

Does the burn in problem also apply to the XF100/105 series?

Andy Solaini March 23rd, 2011 01:33 PM

Could you possibly post a pic of the cap and how it fits the camera?

Andy S

Lou Bruno March 23rd, 2011 05:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I placed velcro and a small strap to the EVF plug as well as a bright RED DOT as this is very easy to lose. I placed a small velcro piece to the rear battery door so the EVF cap/plug is out of the way. I also used a small neck card holder and attached the female part to the cap.

See attachments.

Bo Sundvall March 24th, 2011 02:13 AM

Hi

Hard to believe: A camcorder sensitive to light! :-o

/Bo

Michael Fousie August 1st, 2011 08:13 AM

CORRECTION: The part number FOR THE EVF CAP for the 300 and 305 is:
The part#: D54-0160-000
Phone#1-866-481-2569

I was also told they have no protector for the XF-100 so I ended up making my own until I hear otherwise.

Doug Bailey August 1st, 2011 06:00 PM

My wife stitched up a small sock from dark material with elastic which fits snugly over the viewfinder for our XF100. A camera that can't go in the sun, amazing!

Robert Turchick August 1st, 2011 08:03 PM

I use my kids old baby socks on my cameras. And Canon isn't the only brand with this issue. A friend toasted his Panny 170 evf to the cost of about $250. It was exposed for less than a minute to the AZ sun! I then found the thread about all Panny evfs being susceptible.