XF100 and 300 paired in low-light recital - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old March 28th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #16
Major Player

Brightened version: how is this?

Any improvement?

Remember, vimeo's compression ain't helpin' it!

Last edited by Tim Bakland; March 28th, 2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Incomplete
Tim Bakland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #17
Major Player

Re: Brightened version: how is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bakland View Post
Any improvement?
Yep, much better. And the two cameras do look good working together.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Re: Brightened version: how is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bakland View Post
Any improvement?

XF300 and 100 paired (brightened/corrected) on Vimeo

Remember, vimeo's compression ain't helpin' it!
Hey Tim,

As a shooter/editor, in my experience, when brightening up scenes in post due to low light, along with brightness/contrast/gamma, you need to work a bit with the saturation. Generally speaking when you brighten up a clip, adding a bit of saturation helps too. Especially when trying to match 2 angles. But it looks amazing! Using the XF300 definitely helps with color correction because of the 35mb/4:4:2 color space.
Richard Peddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #19
Major Player

Re: XF100 and 300 paired in low-light recital

Good! Yeah, I'll try nudging up the saturation, too, and will keep that in mind moving forward.

If you were to have lit this seen (imagining that you had had the time and the client wanted it, etc.), which lights from your arsenal would you use?

Note: very, very little space to work with. The crowd was packed into this small chapel nave. Also, the ambience was fairly austere -- no big productions or lights that were obvious would have worked. Even my two cameras being there felt a bit anachronistic.

But, being that as it may: which lights would you use to brighten things a bit while being unobtrusive in this live audience/non-studio setting?
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #20
Regular Crew

If it were me and the client did not mind *minimal* lighting, I would have used 1 of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284758-REG/Lowel_P2_10CE_Pro_Light_Tungsten_Focus_Flood.html. It's an adjustable light that has a dial you can use to focus the light from wide to spot(accent). It has barn doors so you can direct the light towards the action without bothering the audience. This light is good for situations like this because you can zero in on the action without putting too much emphasis on the background.

Good idea to keep lighting minimal if anything at all in a church. You still want your footage to have that subtle "candlelight" look.
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hi Tim,
Very nice work and a big improvement! I've learned a lot from reading your thread, thanks for sharing.

Richard I see a warning on the B&H site:
WARNING: This is a "European Voltage" product and CANNOT be used in the USA. It is designed for use overseas.

Looks like a great lighting answer, is there a workaround for the US?

Regards,
Doug.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Peddington View Post
If it were me and the client did not mind *minimal* lighting, I would have used 1 of these Lowel Pro-Light Tungsten Focus Flood Light (230VAC) P2-10CE B&H. It's an adjustable light that has a dial you can use to focus the light from wide to spot(accent). It has barn doors so you can direct the light towards the action without bothering the audience. This light is good for situations like this because you can zero in on the action without putting too much emphasis on the background.

Good idea to keep lighting minimal if anything at all in a church. You still want your footage to have that subtle "candlelight" look.
Or this version for the US, right? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284755-REG/Lowel_P2_10_Pro_Light_Focus_Flood_Light.html
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Haha yes, that's the one... great light! It's amazing for videographers who have a more low-key approach. I have 3 of them in my collection.
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Perfect light for highlighting specifics would be a 100w dido.

They flood surprisingly well. I have lit stages by cross-lighting with them, using them to fill a bit, and add some key light at the same time. The rheostats help tweak them until they are hardly noticeable by both audience and subjects....
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:10 AM   #25
Trustee

I second Bill's idea of using Dedolights. Never travel without them.
You could easily have picked out the vocalist with one.
Old March 30th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #26
Major Player

You are wanting to lighten up your footage in FCP7. There are lots of ways to do this but this tutorial should get you going in the right direction.

>http://vimeo.com/21484772<

However whilst choosing your composite mode - try using Screen and then adjusting the degree of exposure using the opacity slider on the top clip in the timeline.

I wouldn't bother with Magic Bullet Looks unless you have it and want to create a 'look'.

Incidently if you do have Magic Bullet Looks it has loads of exposure compensation tools.

Because you shot these clips with the xf300, with 50mbs and 4:2:2, you should be able to fix this problem easily.

Sometimes its just not on to start setting up video lights and you have to work with what's available.

Ha - since i started typing this reply it looks like you have already resolved this problem.

Last edited by Mark Dobson; March 30th, 2011 at 06:19 AM. Reason: (updating information)
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #27
Major Player

Not sure about your editing platform, but this might be helpful: YouTube - Adobe Premiere Fast Color Correction Tutorial
It's a 4 minute tutorial I created to help brighten images in Premiere Pro using the fast color corrector, along with some basics on the waveform monitor.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders