What's up with the zero supply in the US? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old April 1st, 2011, 07:19 AM   #1
Major Player

What's up with the zero supply in the US?

It seems everybody is completely sold out of the XF100, and have been for a bit. Does this have to do with the earthquake in Japan? Or is there a technical issue that's halted production of the cameras? I'm itching to get my hands on one, and can't find one anywhere. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, but I've checked tons of (reputable) places online, too.

Any thoughts?
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: What's up with the zero supply in the US?

I've been wondering the same thing myself...the general UNavailability of the XF100/105 was from the get-go, preceding the quake so not sure what's up. This is very much out of character for Canon; usually, they announce and then the camera is in your hands a couple months later.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Maller View Post
Does this have to do with the earthquake in Japan?
Yes.

AFAIK, right now each packed camera is unpacked and checked if it is ok after the earthquake before it leaves the factory. The electricity has been down as well, so nothing could be done at all.
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Was just reading on a "rumour" site (for Sony Alpha) that the companies are not really letting on how much damage the earhtquakes (and subsequent aftershocks and electrical disruption from the lost nuke plants) really is causing in the supply chain.

Included in that "rumour" was that Sony is pulling NAB press releases at the last minute on some new products, and hasn't been able to produce sensors since the quake (kinda hard to make a camera without a sensor chip).

The disruption in Japan was horrific by any measure, and while they are very stoic, I can imagine that it will be years, if not decades before they fully restore "normality", not weeks or months. It also may be a while before we can really grasp the gravity of the situation.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Japan earthquake is part of it, the rest is the rapidly weakening dollar makes US sales less profitable when compared to elsewhere, so they ship elsewhere first.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM   #6
Go Cycle

CANON is closed for inventory nationwide till Tuesday and product should be coming in next Tuesday but it will be limited-very limited- due to the circumstances in JAPAN.
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:52 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Bruno View Post
CANON is closed for inventory nationwide till Tuesday and product should be coming in next Tuesday but it will be limited-very limited- due to the circumstances in JAPAN.
Thank you. Hopefully things loosen up soon. Of course, I feel silly, like I should send $3000 to Japan for earthquake relief instead. :(
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:04 PM   #8
Major Player

B&H now says for the XF100: "This item is backordered by the manufacturer. Estimated delivery to B&H 6-10 weeks." A sales manager there told me a few weeks ago that the earthquake and tsunami had hampered Canon's ability to get cameras out.

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

It certainly seems like something else is at play cause they were pushing the shipment dates back long before the quake even hit.
Stephen Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:26 AM   #10
Go Cycle

That's correct Steve. Evey APRIL, Canon closes for inventory. Every year this occurs thus pushes back availability for items not in the sales/.stores Que prior to the shutdown.

The catastrophe in Japan will really slow down manufacturing and delivery. Prices are going to increase. DVCAM tape that was 22 dollars in now 40 dollars, Ther HVR-270, that was $5999 is now $69990. I am wondering about DVDs?
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:25 AM   #11
Major Player

Lou, I know you cannot advertise here, but are you a dealer? You seem to channel what a Canon sales rep would tell dealers.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:59 AM   #12
Major Player

I am getting a 100 from Al art video he said the last one for a while . Hey Lou how are you ?

Doug
Doug Tessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:34 PM   #13
Go Cycle

Doing fine Doug. Yes...ART is ALL out of MANY of the cameras from Japan and TAPE went up in price as well all over the place. I was lucky to get my XF-300.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:32 PM   #14
Wrangler

I have a confession to make: I've kept quiet until B&H opened this evening and I could get my order for the XF105 placed. No idea what the stock levels are and if they'll hold out.

As soon as I saw this thread, I checked B&H for the XF cameras and lo and behold the 105 showed in stock. Unfortunately for the majority who want the XF100, it still shows as back-ordered.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders