DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Spike's new show COAL shot on the XFs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/494074-spikes-new-show-coal-shot-xfs.html)

Jim Martin April 4th, 2011 10:27 AM

Spike's new show COAL shot on the XFs

FYI, the new reality show COAL on SpikeTV (Weds 9pm) was shot with the XF 300s & 305s. I know the production was very happy with the cameras and how well they held up in a rough environment.

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com

Jeff Anselmo April 4th, 2011 12:40 PM

Re: Spike's new show COAL shot on the XFs

Hi Jim,

Do you happen to know if they shoot exclusively with the XF cams?

And maybe why they chose the XFs over other cams? (Coal mining is certainly a "rough environment" :)

Thanks,

Jim Martin April 4th, 2011 06:39 PM

These producers have about 30+ shows on the air and the production side has wanted to get off of tape and go to cards for a while but post has had a certain way they handle things and wanted to stay with tape. Once we and production showed them what time and money could be saved, the post supervisor gave the OK.....
As for the cameras, production liked the 300/305s as soon as they came out and liked it even more when the 100/105s came to light (B camera, low light, IR, night vision) for the codec and lower cost CF cards. For this show, they used the 300/305s for there main cameras but I'm sure the used some 5D/7Ds and GoPros for some c camera stuff.

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com

Jeff Anselmo April 7th, 2011 12:28 PM

Thanks Jim!

Caught a bit of the show last night, and it looked like they shot at 60i; probably to give the show a more "gritty and real" look. From what I saw, it looked pretty good (though I did notice a some out of focus shots here and there :)

Best,

Daniel Gustafsson April 8th, 2011 03:41 AM

Here you can watch some of it online: Coal Episode 3 Preview - Act 1 Of Down 'N Out | Free Video Clips | SPIKE

Seems like a very harsh environment to be shooting in!

Tim Polster April 8th, 2011 08:18 AM

Thanks for the heads up. This is one of the best ways to evaluate a camera's true performance. If it still looks great after all of the processing it is a winner.

I watched the first episode but did not focus too much on the image quality. The content is pretty engaging. I will take notice on the next episode.

Robin Davies-Rollinson April 8th, 2011 11:38 AM

Wow! - what a series.
Being Welsh, I've been brought up with coal mining - and it's not easy, wherever it takes place.
I really could engage with the guys
It's so well made, the team are to be congratulated.
The fact that the series was shot on the Canon XF305 is an added bonus...

Glen Vandermolen April 10th, 2011 09:35 PM

Cool news!

It's nice to see the XF cams in broadcast use.