Concert Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old April 21st, 2011, 08:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Concert Audio

I'm going to be filming a concert soon and will be stationed about 20-30 feet away from the stage. I know that an XLR feed would be the best way to capture the acoustics, but unfortunately that won't be an option for this event.

I did some testing and it sounds like the XF-300's on-board stereo mic is better at capturing the highs while my NTG-1 is better at capturing the lows.

Just curious to hear what people's thought are as to which mic to use.
Brandon Puet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:38 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Concert Audio

Seems like the obvious choice of using both would be ideal. Then mix out the weak frequencies in either signal.
John Gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What's the music and what's the space ?

Can you record the board sound to a separate recorder and a scratch track on the camera and then sync in post ?
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:14 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Candlish View Post
What's the music and what's the space ?

Can you record the board sound to a separate recorder and a scratch track on the camera and then sync in post ?
This is exactly what my Zoom H1 is great for. Just get a 1/4"-1/8" adapter. Then toss the audio onto your Final Cut Pro timeline next to the video and run PluralEyes on it. The more audio sources from which you can choose, the better off you are.
Old April 24th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #5
Major Player

On-board audio is never going to give you good results. For concerts you need some sort of mic at the front of the stage. A stereo mic placed in the middle combined with "Levelator" in post does a good job at bringing out voices.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #6
Trustee

Depends so much on what you are recording. Orchestral/choral concerts have entirely different needs from rock/electric stuff and if the latter, house mix and recording mix are different again. One thing in common - on camera mic will not give you good results for either.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #7
Major Player

Does Levelator work with Vegas Pro? Or would I use it ande then bring the audio tracks back in to Vegas?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders