What's the deal with MXF on Mac's - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old May 11th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: What's the deal with MXF on Mac's

Some good advice in this thread already, thanks for the replies.

I got my Mac the other day but haven't set it up yet. Can someone point me in the right direction for some good tutorials (video or text) on FCP? I am a complete novice in FCP and Macs but have some knowledge of Vegas and Prem Pro.
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #17
Major Player

If you do not have FCP yet wait a few weeks and get the new FCP X in June for $299.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #18
Major Player

I am wondering how well it will run on my Mac because it's a 2010 Core2Duo one not a new i5/i7. My brother runs the current FCP pretty well on his Mac which is three years old so mine might be ok with FCP X.
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #19
Major Player

No one know for sure what the system requirements of FCPX are, but it does use the graphics card for acceleration and early hints are that it will be significantly faster than FCP 7, and will process in the background as you work much more efficently than the current FCP.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
BTW, if you DO choose to convert to ProRes, then it will take longer to import and the file sizes of the clips will be bigger -- but there will be no benefit. You won't gain anything by converting to ProRes, so just import the clips as "native" and you will love the workflow.
What I'm seeing with FCP7 is that I can definitely work in the native codec with the nominal re-wrap that Log and Transfer does, but the video on the timeline shows with the green bars, indicating that it's only semi-rendered. It seems to go fast enough, but when I told Log and Transfer to transcode to ProRes, there were no green bars, meaning that FCP7 was working (more) optimally.
Old May 14th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #21
Vortex Media

It really depends on your sequence settings, doesn't it? I usually don't have to render when I'm editing an HD timeline because I try to use sequence settings that match my raw footage whenever possible. It sounds like you are using sequence settings that are different than your XDCAM raw footage (Canon files are actually XDCAM), thus FCP needs to do some quick rendering. In either case, I prefer to leave my raw footage in the native codec because the files sizes are a lot smaller and the ingest is faster.
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Maller View Post
What I'm seeing with FCP7 is that I can definitely work in the native codec with the nominal re-wrap that Log and Transfer does, but the video on the timeline shows with the green bars, indicating that it's only semi-rendered. It seems to go fast enough, but when I told Log and Transfer to transcode to ProRes, there were no green bars, meaning that FCP7 was working (more) optimally.
I do not have the green render lines on my footage after log and transfer with the XF plugin, it is gray and ready to go. Maybe your sequence settings need to be changed?
Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Young View Post
I do not have the green render lines on my footage after log and transfer with the XF plugin, it is gray and ready to go. Maybe your sequence settings need to be changed?
Gaaack. My bad. I had a color corrector filter dropped on the clip.
Apropos, it's interesting that FCP thinks the right compressor for my Sequence is XDCAM 422 24P 50mbps. Is that the same as MXF?
Old May 15th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #24
Regular Crew

My MXF clips also say XDCAM HD422 720p50 at 50Mb/s.
Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv Attingal View Post
It is where media manager comes into play.You can't trim your timeline to .mxf using media manager.
Will FCP X change this scenario?
Is .mxf supported in FCP X?.

Rajiv

In FCS I and II media manager was working well: I could shorten clips from different sources (DV, analog, Digibeta, etc.). With FCS III media manager doesn´t work well in my setup and it is not possible to shorten DV, HDV, XDCAm-Clips. Has anybody made better experiences?

Reinhard
Reinhard Kungel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #26
Vortex Media

Yes, Media Manager on Final Cut Pro 7 does shorten XDCAM clips and Canon clips on my computer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders