DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   XF100 in da house (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/495831-xf100-da-house.html)

Steve Maller May 12th, 2011 07:12 PM

XF100 in da house

1 Attachment(s)
What a lovely little machine. First impressions:
1) Very sturdy feel for such a light camera
2) Fold out LCD screen is beautiful
3) Battery does not arrive charged
4) Camera refused to even format a 4GB non-UDMA card I have (said media is incompatible!)
5) Must. Read. Manual. :D

Uploaded a test clip to Vimeo, but it's queued for processing. Will post a note when it's up if anybody cares.

Steve Maller May 12th, 2011 07:32 PM

Re: XF100 in da house

Chris Hurd May 12th, 2011 08:19 PM

Thanks for posting! Yes, all XF series camcorders need UDMA cards, that's a requirement.

Sam Young May 13th, 2011 08:07 AM

I picked up a xf100 last week, before that I only had experiences with consumer camcorders and the JVC HM100. The XF100 blows the JVC OUT OF THE WATER. I LOVE this xf100, I wish I never purchased the HM100... :(

What i love about the XF 100:
-using CF cards with two slots, and with the cool doors
-being able to use $36 8500mah knock off batteries that lasted for more than 5 hours with the camera turned on
-decent built in mics, with a built in audio control cover so controls are not accidentally changed during transport
-the power save button comes in handy
-fast power up and down
-short loading time between recording button is pushed to stop the record, and pushed again to resume recording
-easy, easy to use manual controls via the custom dial and buttons (i was on full auto all the time with the JVC because of crappy controls)
-easy to use zebra and peaking
-customizable buttons
-beautiful LCD screen

Well, the list goes on. :)

Lou Bruno May 15th, 2011 10:05 AM

I think Chris Hurd was 100% correct. I used my new XF-100 this week and after duplicating the profiles from my XF-300, I am hard-pressed to really see a BIG difference, if any, in the quality of the picture.

. I think this is a camera, by virtue of its size, I will use more often

. I boosted the color matrix setting in GAIN to #25 for outdoor shots plus Cine 1 mode.

. The lens is better than I imagined. Truthfully, If someone told me it is an L-series, I would believe them

. Good News: NO INTERLINE TWITTER or SHIMMERING like the XF-300 after scaling. To me, this is a big plus not watching horizontal/vertical lines shimmer.

.The DYNAMIC stabilizer tends to wobble a bit more than I would want thus emulating or magnifyfing the dreaded "Jell-O" look of a CMOS chip when walking. The REGULAR setting is the proper way to go and the REGULAR setting seems better than the XF-300, though this may be because of the smaller form-factor of the XF-100 compared to the LARGE XF-300.

.One must purchase the Canon WD-58W for a wide angle and not purchase or use the prior "58" model used in the HS/HF/M series as you will get vignetting with the latter at wide angle.

.The weak point for me in the EVF. I had to adjust the contrast. It is also MUCH smaller than the EVF on the XF-300, which I was used to.

John M. Kim May 15th, 2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Maller (Post 1648608)
What a lovely little machine. First impressions:
1) Very sturdy feel for such a light camera
2) Fold out LCD screen is beautiful
3) Battery does not arrive charged
4) Camera refused to even format a 4GB non-UDMA card I have (said media is incompatible!)
5) Must. Read. Manual. :D

Uploaded a test clip to Vimeo, but it's queued for processing. Will post a note when it's up if anybody cares.

Steve, how is it with fast moving footage and vertical lines? How objectionable is the rolling shutter?

Steve Maller May 16th, 2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John M. Kim (Post 1649410)
Steve, how is it with fast moving footage and vertical lines? How objectionable is the rolling shutter?

I haven't had a chance to test this yet. I'll leave it up to others. I primarily shoot interviews and stage presentations and the like. Not a lot of movement there. :)

Luke Hill May 18th, 2011 08:25 AM

Pretty exciting! Can't wait to get my hands on one!

Luke
http://www.lukehill.com