Static noise when using external XLR mic with XF 100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old May 13th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Static noise when using external XLR mic with XF 100

Hi guys,

Just got the XF 100 last week and I love it.

I just plugged in my Audio Technica 875R shotgun mic to it, switched it to 48v phantom power, and through the headphone jack, I hear a TON of static noise. I tried all the settings under the audio menu, but nothing would get rid of the static noise.

I used this mic with my old JVC HM100 with great success. I like the internal XF 100 mic, but would like to use the AT 875R for some occasions.

Can someone point me to the right direction?

Thanks!

Sam
Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Static noise when using external XLR mic with XF 100

I've been really impressed with both the onboard and XLR sound quality in the XF105 -- no problems here so there is a problem somewhere in your system. Is the static actually recorded, or just coming out the headphone jack? If so, you can try a different set of headphones to further isolate where the problem is.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Try channel 1 and set menu to record
channel 1 on both 1 and 2.

Set your gain around 5 on channel

If you don"t adjust the menu
You will record from the external
Mic on channel 2.

Whatever noise you still get
You can remove in post.

Craig
Craig Beckta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you guys, I will try all of the suggestions tomorrow.

I've only played around with it for 10 minutes with the external mic using cheap Apple earbuds. Will try my custom in ear monitors and record a clip to see if the noise is actually recorded.

Thank you again.
Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I know where the problem lies, I tried the same mic with a different xlr cable and it was noise free.

However, I have tried two short cables, both half a foot or so, connect the mic to Ch1 of the XF100. Both has the static noise via headphone out and recorded clip.

But when I use the same two cords and plug it into my Zoom H4n recorder with the same mic attached, there is no static noise.

Can someone explain to me this anomaly? Are the cables (half foot) simply too short for this camera? The cable worked on the hm100 without a problem.

Thank you for any advice.

Last edited by Sam Young; May 14th, 2011 at 08:52 AM.
Sam Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders