Frame rate & shutter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old May 31st, 2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Frame rate & shutter

Hi folks. I have a question:

If I were to go 1920 x 1080 frame rate at 25p, I can change shutter angle but I cannot change the shutter speed (when I set shutter to 'speed'). It seems to default to 1/25 and I can't change it to say, 1/50. Why is this?
Old June 1st, 2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Frame rate & shutter

Hi

shutter speed = shutter angle/360 * 1/frame rate.

If you come from photography then you'll likely think in shutter speed, but if you have a background in cinema then you might think in shutter angle.

I don't know which camera you have, I've got the XF100. In the menu I can choose shutter to be in speed, angle or automatic. Choosing speed or angle simply changes what is displayed, I can modify the shutter either way.

When you set or change the frame rate, the XF100, and I suppose also the XF300, sets the shutter angle to the default value 360°, that means that if you shoot 25fps, the default shutter speed is 1/25. If you have chosen to display shutter speed rather than shutter angle, then 1/25 will be shown.

Of course you can modify that, unless you have it set to automatic.

BR, Erik
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I am using the XF100 too. Thanks very much for the information Erik. I'll double check if I had set the shutter to automatic.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 05:09 AM   #4
Major Player

I have the XF100 too. To set shutter speed:

1. In the menu, go to camera setup -> Shutter -> Speed, now you will see shutter speed rather than angle.
2. Check the switch "Camera" is set to M. Full auto disables manual settings, and the lock locks the current settings against accidental changes.
3. Push the shutter button, when the shutter speed on the display is highlighted with orange you can change it using the joystick next to the screen.

If in 1. you set shutter to show angle, the rest is the same for setting shutter angle, and remember the two are related, just two ways of expressing the same thing.

BR, Erik
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 05:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes! It works! Thanks very much Erik. You've been a great help! :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders