XF100 and Canon TL-H58 teleconverter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old June 10th, 2011, 06:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XF100 and Canon TL-H58 teleconverter

Hi,
I have an XF100 and just got the Canon TL-H58 teleconverter. Of course it vignettes terribly at wide angle settings. Ahhaa! Changed the "menu settings" to the "1.5" lens, and it vignettes less - but nonetheless still does at wider settings. I thought I heard it shouldn't?

Oh, if I set the menu to 2 or 3x settings, it's just too telephoto with NO wideangle? Do they make a teleconverter without all the limitations?

Anyone else out there using this add on lens getting different results? Please tell me I'm WRONG!
Thanks,
Larry
Larry Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: XF100 and Canon TL-H58 teleconverter

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751265-REG/Canon_4892B001_WD_H58W_0_8x_Wide_Converter.html
Had it worked great
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Gerald. That's good to know if I need a wide angle converter. No vignetting.
BUT . . . I was talking about the 1.5 teleconverter. But thank you for frplying with your experience. I'll surely make a note of that!
Larry
Old June 10th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Ahh got me misunderstood lol
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #5
Go Cycle

Larry,

Anytime extra glass is added to a non-interchangeable lens, there is a loss in HD quality as well as a loss of f-stop(s). Personally, I find the 1.5X setting in the TELE menu works fine with no loss to the picture quality. I think the TELE-CONVERTER, unlike the wide angle attachment is unnecessary in my opinion. I actually ASSIGN the TELE MENU setting to the WFM (useless anyway) button on the rear of the XF-100.
Old June 11th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Lou, I was just drawing that EXACT same conclusion this morning. The vignetting is, at least in my opinion, terrible! You see vignetting throughout 50% of the zoom (from wide angle to medium telephoto.)

I was thinking the same thing you just said . . . why am I buying the tele-converter - with such a minor degradation of quality by just going the 1.5X route! I agree! Funny, I seem to remember years ago, the vignetting wasn't such a problem . . . was it with the XL-2? Don't remember.

BUT . . . I've also read if you just shoot normally, and enlarge the image in Final Cut Pro . . . (that's what we use) some say the quality is the same as doing it in the camera. So just fix it in post!

Then I're read something about the noise level being less if done in the camera, but the pixelization itself is the same ???? Didn't quite get it -- but with all that vignetting, it sure is hard to rationalize keeping the tele-converter.

I love it when these camera manufacturers say 'there "MAY" be image degradation when . . .

MAY!!! I don't think so - there IS!
Thanks for confirming my beliefs!
Larry
Old June 11th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #7
Major Player

FYI ....all optical Teleconverters vignette.....From the days of the XL1 & PD-150 to now....you have to push in 50% to get past it.

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Given the robust XF CODEC I would be more confident of good results with zooming in post rather than baking it in the camera.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders