DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   XF100 - recs for a "rig" or mobile stabilization / support setup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/497098-xf100-recs-rig-mobile-stabilization-support-setup.html)

John M. Kim June 13th, 2011 09:02 AM

XF100 - recs for a "rig" or mobile stabilization / support setup

Overall I'm liking the XF100 so far. A big gripe I have is with its very button-y interface that requires a lot of linear clicking for things that should very clearly be dial-based -- I'm thinking of gain in particular. I also dislike the lack of a physical control of the ND filters. That seems like a huge oversight to me -- it reminds me of when all SLR camera manufacturers decided it was a good idea to remove f-stops from their lenses and place control of them at the right thumb. One step forward, two steps back.

Right now I'm searching for a solution for a problem of my own. I'm looking for a good stabilization system of some type so that I can comfortably hold and use the camera at about chest height.

I'm on the tall side, and I can't use the regular handle grip of the camera without always looking "down" on my subjects, creating convergence of parallel lines and distortion. And, using microphone handle requires that I bend my wrist at an uncomfortable angle.

The only comfortable way for me to handhold the camera is the cradle is in my left palm, which obviously is not the best method if I want full access to the camera's controls.

Right now I'm considering the Tiffen Steady Stick but I'm curious to know what other tall shooters do?

I used the EX1R briefly. That camera was a beast to use but I loved the lockable and turning handle grip. If only the XF100 had that!

Federico Perale June 13th, 2011 09:11 AM

Re: XF100 - recs for a "rig" or mobile stabilization / support setup

Quote:

Originally Posted by John M. Kim (Post 1657968)

I used the EX1R briefly. That camera was a beast to use but I loved the lockable and turning handle grip. If only the XF100 had that!

hi John
I am a previous EX1r user and considering the XF100. I couldn't stand the ergonomics/weight factor but loved the performance of the EX.
what other thoughts you have when comparing the two? would be curious to know

John M. Kim June 13th, 2011 10:23 AM

Re: XF100 - recs for a "rig" or mobile stabilization / support setup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Federico Perale (Post 1657972)
hi John
I am a previous EX1r user and considering the XF100. I couldn't stand the ergonomics/weight factor but loved the performance of the EX.
what other thoughts you have when comparing the two? would be curious to know

I only had limited use with the EX1R. The XF100 is overall much lighter obviously and easier to handhold for longer periods of time.