DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Which Bag for the XF305? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/497291-bag-xf305.html)

Denny Kyser June 16th, 2011 09:45 PM

Which Bag for the XF305?

I have the Portabrace DVO-2R and it fits nicely but when you add a shotgun mic it gets a little cramped wondering what everyone else is using.

Larry Becker June 17th, 2011 01:24 PM

Re: Which Bag for the XF305?

Kata CC-195. I wanted something that would fit in an overhead compartment on a plane, had an (optional) wheeled cart, and would fit the XF300 with a few extras. This Kata works well, and probably would handle an attached mic, but I haven't done that.

My mic is too thin for the built-in holder (a Rode NTG-2), so I got a mic holder for it - but even that doesn't hold securely and I had a few problems with the mic holder sliding down and letting the mic in the shot. Not at all good.

Larry

Robert Turchick June 17th, 2011 02:16 PM

I went with Kata's OMB large. I carry my 7D along with the 300 and lenses, audio,filters and other small accessories. It's too big for airport use but great for making sure nothing gets left behind. Comes with it's own luggage cart too!

Scott Cantrell June 17th, 2011 03:42 PM

Denny, I have customer's using the CamRade CB-Single-I for their XF300/305 which is on sale at Tapeworks for only $119.99
TapeWorks Texas | camRade CB Single I camBag Call us 866-TAPEGUY

However, it will be about the same amount of room that your PortaBrace DVO-2R provides.

Another option is the CamRade CB-Single II which sells for $189.99
TapeWorks Texas | camRade CB Single II camBag Call us 866-TAPEGUY
The CBS2 will provide plenty of room for your XF305 and accessories.

One more suggestion is the CamRade CB-HD-SMALL Heavy Duty Case.
This case is almost as good as a Hard Case!
TapeWorks Texas | camRade CB HD SMALL Heavy Duty Case Call us 866-TAPEGUY
The pictures on my site are incorrect as they have re-designed the interior dividers. I will be updating the pics soon.

Please contact me toll free 866-827-3489 and I would be glad to discuss options ranging from CamRade, Porta Brace, Kata, Petrol etc

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net

Denny Kyser June 17th, 2011 03:42 PM

thanks guys, will look into these.

Mark Watson January 2nd, 2013 02:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
For anyone looking for a bag of minimal dimensions, I just got the Think Tank Sling-O-Matic 30. External dimensions are 12.0" x 17.25" x 7.5". My XF305 barely fits. Can go under the seat on an airliner. If you leave the lens shade on, the EVF will need to be rotated upward and care given not to put any weight on that end of the bag, otherwise you can remove the shade and the camera can fit with the EVF fully rotated downward. This style bag has a single shoulder strap that allows you to wear it as a backpack and then rotate it so it is under your left or right arm. Haven't tried it with a mic fitted up. There's about 2 inches of clearance above the handle, but the mic can not protrude forward of the lens cover.

Mark

Trevor Dennis January 3rd, 2013 07:25 PM

I've been looking at those strong plastic tool boxes you see in the DIY stores. If you could line one with shaped foam rubber, it would surely offer more protection than a soft camera case, and probably save you some dollars.

So how do you do nice cut outs in foam rubber?

Nate Haustein January 3rd, 2013 07:42 PM

You could just buy some pick and pluck foam inserts and cut them down to fit your case.

Mark Watson January 3rd, 2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Dennis (Post 1771012)
So how do you do nice cut outs in foam rubber?

I made a new foam insert for my Pelican 1510 to fit the XF cam. It was a rush job, which I plan to re-do. I bought large squares (16x16") of 5/8 thick medium density foam. I traced the area to cut out with a silver Sharpie pen and used an Xacto knife and straight edge to make the cuts. Had to change blades a few times. I think I used a total of 6 layers. I also used one of those hot wire cutting tools. If the foam isn't too dense, it will actually do okay for the curved and beveled cuts. I used a hot glue gun to stack all the foam layers together. Not very pretty, but I think if I take my time I can get it looking better. I'll post a pic when I'm happy with the results.

Martin Catt January 3rd, 2013 08:56 PM

Electric carving knives work well on foam. They used to be common, but have become harder to find in stores. However, outdoor sports stores sell electric filleting knives, which are the same thing, except usually green instead of ivory colored. The counter-oscillating blades glide through foam without distortion.

If possible, get one with straight blades, as the curved, tapered blades make it a bit more difficult to cut a true, vertical curved outline.

I scrounge instrument-grade foam rubber from where I work, repairing aircraft instruments, which is MUCH superior to the commercial foam. It doesn't turn to sticky goo after a few years.

Martin

Nigel Barker January 4th, 2013 01:54 AM

I have a Kata OMB (One Man Band) as my main camera bag but I also have a couple of these tool bags for carting around other gear, They are strongly made have a steel base & very good value for money JCB 500mm Heavy Duty Soft Sided Tool Bag, 28509189

My other tip for packing loose bits of gear like cables, audio gear, batteries etc is to get clear plastic zipped cases that are sold to carry cosmetics. They are clear so that you can see what is inside & the tough plastic offers good protection. They are also dirt cheap http://www.marksandspencer.com/Outst.../dp/B000OZ9H32

Tim Polster January 4th, 2013 01:30 PM

I use the Kata BP 502 backpack for the XF300 and I love it. It is a great case. Too big for airplanes but you can carry a lot of support gear. I fit my mics, SmallHD 9" monitor, headphones, WB cards, clamps etc... all along with the camera. The backpack allows my to carry other stuff so I can make fewer or only one trip into a job.

B&H has it for $99 bucks right now. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/316876-REG/Kata_KT_BP_502_BP_502_Camcorder_Backpack.html

Graham Bernard January 4th, 2013 04:19 PM

I've got both, OMB and the 502. The 300 is fitted with follow focus and MB and I didn't find an easy, pull-out way, of extracting the kit from the 502 so it's been the OMB for the past 18 months, and it works extremely well.

Grazie

Trevor Dennis January 5th, 2013 10:46 PM

I went straight to Google after asking about foam cutouts, and found all the usual answers from hot knives, hot wire, and square cuts in multiple layers. I was kind of expecting to find some sort of make a wooden template and pour foam around it, but it would be rediculous making the wooden die/template for a one off. I still think that the tool boxes offer a poor mans Pelican case solution, that would provid a lot more protection than a soft bag, and will be taking that route.

Jack D. Hubbard January 5th, 2013 11:27 PM

Earlier in the posts there was a discussion about the mic holder being too large for a lot of shotguns. I use a Sennheiser 66 and solve the problem by going to a bike shop and buying a $7 inner tube for skinny tires. I cut about a 3-4 inch section and it holds the mic perfectly. I carry the extra tubing as a spare.