DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   XF and Final Cut X? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/497515-xf-final-cut-x.html)

Bill Weaver June 22nd, 2011 09:09 AM

XF and Final Cut X?

Any body been reading up on Final Cut X? Anyone know about its future with XF integration?

Mark Moreve June 22nd, 2011 02:03 PM

Re: XF and Final Cut X?

Hi
I have just tried to install files from xf305 into fcpx and it didn't recognise them at all. What is going on surely Apple realise the 305 is a major camera and game changer. It's not even listed in the accepted cameras. COME ON APPLE!

Sam Young June 22nd, 2011 02:59 PM

That is very bad news... Please update us if you have any other discoveries. I am itching to buy FCPX!

Mark Moreve June 22nd, 2011 03:32 PM

I'm sure it will use xf footage I just can't see how at the moment

Sam Young June 22nd, 2011 04:38 PM

Hope you get it figured out soon. And please let us know.

Bill Weaver June 22nd, 2011 09:16 PM

From Phillip Hodgetts

What are the Answers to the Unanswered Questions about Final Cut Pro X? | The present and future of post production business and technology

Sam Young June 22nd, 2011 09:21 PM

I don't know what I am talking about, but I read somewhere that users of FCX must download an optional file with all the codecs. Perhaps one of those codecs may allow of native editing?

Sam Young June 22nd, 2011 09:24 PM

By the way, thank you for posting this, it answer every one of my questions! I think I will wait a little longer before I buy.

Mark Dobson June 23rd, 2011 02:51 AM

Sure thing - at the moment it's not possible to directly import XF files into FCP X.

Whether it's down to Apple or Canon to resolve this issue I don't know.

But I'm sure that it will soon be possible to do this and in the meantime all you have to do is import the files into a folder via FCP 7 ( as pro-res) and then access them in FCP X. Not that difficult to do even if it is a pain.

Mark Moreve June 23rd, 2011 11:36 AM

To be honest if I have to use fcp7 to get the rushes in why not just carry on and edit with fcp7. It's backwards and totally ridiculous that Apple haven't included .mxf as native. Have they no idea about the impact that the xf305 has made on the broadcast industry here in the Uk. The BBC have bought 200 and All 3 media have instructed all there production companies to buy into the camera. Apple have seriously messed up here. I'm off to Adobe!

Mark Dobson June 24th, 2011 03:34 AM

Yes it does seem a bit silly.

However I really want to start using the new software and for the time being I'll use any workaround that gets the files onto a hard drive for FCP X to reference.

Once you have started to use FCP X, learnt your way around a bit, FCP 7 seems really pedantic and old fashioned. I was initially, like many people, really sceptical but having spent time with it I think its really smart software that like the Tardis expands as you get inside it.

Having listened to Larry Jordon at the Supermeet last night it would seem that it's probably going to be down to Canon to introduce a set of new drivers etc.

I'm sure they will but lets hope it doesn't take to long.

Larry Rodman July 2nd, 2011 08:45 PM

I purchased FCP X the day it was released and then immediately discovered that it would not recognize the Canon XF100 .mtf files. I immediately began to search forums, websites for Canon, Apple, etc., and frequently posted the issue of FCPX and Canon .mtf compatibility on google. I finally found Foxreal video converter for mac, and it works; transcoding the files to Pro-Rez. I had tried other converters that claimed to process AVCHD, but none of them worked with Canon's wrapper. The cost of the program was $35.00 and well worth the cost.

Caveat:
This is a work-around until Canon/Apple provide support for FCPX.
The program has a tendency to freeze if too many files are loaded, so it is not viable for "load-it and leave-it overnight."

Martin Doppelbauer July 24th, 2011 07:32 AM

Sony offers a free MXF transcode and transfer tool for their XD Cameras, for example here: Sony : Download von XDCAM & XDCAM EX-Software : Deutschland
This tool can be used to change the file format from MXF to MOV and it works with Canon's XF100/300 files as well!
The underlaying video stream is not transcoded. It remains in original MPEG2 format, which is handled natively by FCP. Sony's software just changes the container (the file wrapper). You can easily open the MOV files without any need for additional plugins in FCP 7.

So it seems logical they should also be working in FCP X. But since I haven't bought FCP X yet, maybe somebody can test and confirm this?

Ray Sigmond July 24th, 2011 12:11 PM

Martin, is this file the download you are referring to?

PDZKP1 XDCAM Transfer Software Version 2.12
Sony | Micro Site XDCAM EX

Martin Doppelbauer July 25th, 2011 08:24 AM

Yes, this is it.
When you run the installer be sure to select custom installation.
You only need the first one of the items on the list (XDCAM Transfer) - not the other four (XDCAM Tranfer Plugins, XDCAM Transfer Presets, FAM Driver, FAM Driver Tool). They may also be useful for other purposes but I haven't figured it out yet.

After the software is installed, connect you CF-Cardreader and insert the CF-Card. Start the software and press the Add... button (lower left corner) to select the folders with the movies. All clips should now be visible in the viewer (top-window).
Then select the clips in the top-window and press the Import button (lower right corner).
You should then get MOV files of each of the selected clips.