XF105...is it a good expedition camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old July 10th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XF105...is it a good expedition camera

I currently shoot with a Panasonic HDX900 but need a small camera for broadcast work and that is suitable for expedition work. It needs to be compact, have as many professional features as possible, including 50mbs recording. The 105 looks like the best option? Any one have any other suggestions?
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: XF105...is it a good expedition camera

The XF100 and XF105 are marketed as camcorders designed for expedition work. I think they beat the comparable small camcorders and are probably the smallest with 50 mbps. I have not taken my XF100 on an expedition per se, but I take it into the mountains fairly frequently. It is light and full-featured and a pleasure to use. I am getting shots I never would have with the XH-A1, primarily because it's a lot easier to take with me than the XH-A1. I shoot video with a 5D2 as well, and the 5D2 and a set of lenses is also a lot more weight and hassle than the XF100. It's not waterproof like Sony's NX70u, but the Sony doesn't have the pro codec.

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Trustee

After getting the chance to shoot for 3 days on a large piece of property I can second that the handling is very nice. Just wish I had my carbon sticks! Lugging an aluminum Manfrotto beast kinda offset how nice the 105 was! Ha ha! Did a fair amount of handheld too and it's awesome. Especially with the IS set to power.
As for quality, I had a hard time distinguishing the footage from my xf300. Canon really got it right with the 100/105! Hard to believe it works so well since it looks like a half scale version of the 300! Really tiny!
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #4
Go Cycle

I have to agree. I sold my XF-300 only because it was just too large for a handheld camera. The picture quality on my XF-100 is too close to call. Actually, I can not diferentiate the comparison scenes from either camera-they look the same with proper lighting. However, I can tell the difference between my HF G10 and my XF-100 and it must be due to the 50Mps.
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the best choice, now just have to find one in stock.... everyone seems to be back ordered.
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #6
Major Player

I don't know what type of expeditions you are thinking of but I don't think you can find anything harder than this

Canon Professional Network - Filmmaker Phil Coates shoots major Arctic documentary with Canon HD camcorders

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #7
Major Player

While it's not the only reason I own both the XF300 and XF100, portability is a massive plus for the XF100. I wanted something that can fit easily in my backpack and be taken on a plane as hand luggage and at the same time produce great footage. Well the XF100 fits the bill just perfectly. I can carry it around all day and pretty much forget it's there, it's so lightweight. My sticks weigh a ton though!

I can't think of a better cam for your uses David. I'm not sure about it's ruggedness but judging by the links Bob put up it's seems like it can take a fair battering from the elements!

Andy S
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Here is somewhat rough footage from the XF100 taken during a "mini expedition" in Colorado last week. I would not have been willing to scramble over wet logs and rocks with a 5 or 6 pound camera. The camera was handheld. Of course the compression needed to get it on Vimeo is fairly substantial - much better resolution in the original.

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #9
Major Player

Pat, Nice footage. Do you remember which picture style you used. Thanks

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Looks great and thanks for all the feedback. I ordered a camera from Jim at Filmtools. They were super helpful...
Old July 13th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #11
Regular Crew

PS Tapeworks were also great about following up and also letting me know they had a camera in stock.
Old July 13th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #12
Major Player

I also had a great experience ordering from Jim at Film Tools (an xf100 in my case).
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Bruno View Post
However, I can tell the difference between my HF G10 and my XF-100 and it must be due to the 50Mps.
The difference between 4:2:0 (HF-G10) and 4:2:2 (XF-100) color sampling?
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders