Would the XF100 be a good upgrade from the XH A1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Would the XF100 be a good upgrade from the XH A1?

I know about the 50mbps and 4:2:2.... but what about moving from 3 CCDs to 1 CMOS? That makes me a bit nervous. What improvements will I see with the XF100, if any?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Would the XF100 be a good upgrade from the XH A1?

Bill, I've just added an XF100 to replace by XHA1 as a small B camera. It is a massive improvement in image quality and portability but there are some compromises in terms of operation, e.g. no manual ND filters and only one lens ring. The solid state workflow has obvious advantages and disadvantages depending on how you work. Of course the inclusion of 50Mbps 4:2:2 is great but I don't think it is the most important difference unless a client demands it.

There's footage on my blog, I'll try and add an XHA1 - XF100 comparison if I get the time:

Mike Marriage - Blog - XF100 Test Footage
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

After the XH i take the XF-300
I feel very well with this !
Markus Oginero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Trustee

I have the PMW350k as well, in fact I think I got it before just about anyone except Paul Cronin. I absolutely love it, use it with the Nanoflash.

But the other thing I'm in love with is Mike's White Cliffs video and his vivacious girlfriend is a beautiful subject!

I know just about nothing about this XF100 camera except I am looking for something small with OIS. If Mike says this cuts well with his PMW350, this may be the camera for me too. This records in mxf?
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Whether the XF100 is better than the XHA1 depends on what you are doing with it. In addition to what has already been mentioned: one is big, one is small; one has 20x zoom, one has 10x zoom; one has a global shutter, one has a rolling shutter; one has interlaced sensors, one has progressive sensors; one uses tape, one uses flash memory; one has 3 lens rings, one has a single lens ring; one can stream live video over firewire, one has HDMI.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders