DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Dealing "Cards" ..... again.. Sandisk "Sweet-spot" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/499176-dealing-cards-again-sandisk-sweet-spot.html)

Graham Bernard August 3rd, 2011 11:32 PM

Dealing "Cards" ..... again.. Sandisk "Sweet-spot"

Is this the/a "Good-To-Go" option: Sandisk Compact Flash 32GB Extreme Memory Card ?

Are the "Extreme Pro" overkill? They certainly are "overpriced".

Cheers

Grazie

Jeff Anselmo August 3rd, 2011 11:42 PM

Re: Dealing "Cards" ..... again.. Sandisk "Sweet-spot"

Hi Graham,

Sorry I can't help you with the Sandisks, but the general consensus around here is to use Canon's recommended CF cards.

With that said, I use 2 16G Hoodman cards :) I can't say that they've been fail-proof, as they've actually registered an error message a few times (when I try to do long overcranks of at least two minutes or longer), but the video files always seem to be recorded anyway; so I've never lost a file with them.

Best,

Nigel Barker August 4th, 2011 07:55 AM

Sandisk Extreme will work in the camera just as well as Sandisk Extreme Pro. The latter however will unload faster.

Tim Bakland August 4th, 2011 08:50 AM

I feel safest with PRO, though I realize it's not absolutely necessary. I'm a bit of an obsessor on this one, though... I just about double-slot record everything!

Robert Turchick August 4th, 2011 09:33 AM

Been using Sandisk extreme cards (not pro) for quite a while now with great success. I have 4 32gig and 2 16gig which get divided between my xf300 and 7D.

Graham Bernard August 4th, 2011 10:50 AM

Thanks Robert. Reassuring.

Grazie

Nigel Barker August 4th, 2011 11:08 AM

We too use a bunch of 32GB Sandisk Extreme (not Pro) in both XF105 & XF305. For the Canon 5DIIs we use 32GB Transcend 400X cards which are half the price of the Sandisk Extreme cards but not approved for use in the XF105/305 although they work perfectly in the 5DIIs.

Dave Partington August 4th, 2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1672530)
We too use a bunch of 32GB Sandisk Extreme (not Pro) in both XF105 & XF305. For the Canon 5DIIs we use 32GB Transcend 400X cards which are half the price of the Sandisk Extreme cards but not approved for use in the XF105/305 although they work perfectly in the 5DIIs.

We also use Transcend 400x cards everywhere (DSLRs and XF100) and not had any problems... though we don't do any of the over cranking stuff, it's strictly 50i or 25p.

However, I do understand why people like to stay with the approved list.... it makes you feel safe which you can't really put a price on.