XF300 vs. 7d - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old August 31st, 2011, 09:51 PM   #46
Major Player

Re: XF300 vs. 7d

Doug, thanks for the personal reply. I've already re-watched the DVD section on zebras and been experimenting. I think I have the gist of it, but...

1. What if there isn't a pure bright white in the scene to set zebras from? If there's time, use a white card?

2. If the scene is dark enough that zebras don't appear even at max iris, just gain up until you CAN see them and adjust from there?

Thanks!
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:16 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Doug,

Thanks also for the personally directed reply! And, I'm afraid, in my case, you're absolutely right - I was using the LCD monitor to try to judge exposure, rather than run with Zebras. I went over your video on Exposure and Zebras again today - I like your suggestion about Zebra 2 and have set it up that way and will try it this weekend.

I think this, along with shooting on full auto, is at the core of my problem. And with the brightness set to "normal," I was misjudging the exposure - thinking it was ok when it was really "bright." Using zebra 2 set as you suggest will help judge what's actually at 100%..

And this doesn't even get to the issue of white balance - which I also have been running on auto. I'm having to do A LOT of grading to get the skin tones to look right. I bought your Warm Cards a month or so ago and will do a custom balance. This shoot is going to be in a single setting with a camera mounted on a tripod so a custom white balance is possible and helpful.

Thanks again!

Larry
Larry Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #48
Regular Crew

I own a 5D2, a 60D and XH-A1. Having employed the 5D2 and A1 for a few years now, I am firmly of the belief that it hugely depends what type of work you are doing. Since my work ranges wildly from professional music promos to corporate events, I find myself taking the 5D2 and 60D off the shelf for some jobs, and A1 for others.

For work that demands artistic merit, I would never use a camcorder and much prefer the footage from the HDDSLRs. For interviews, ENG, corporate events, I don't have time to be faffing around with interchangeable lenses, filters, variable NDs and the like, it's the A1 every time and pretty much exclusively.

When I first started using the 5D2, I loved the footage so much, I considered selling the A1. But it's only after a few years working solidly that I've come to realise that each has its place. I'm glad I didn't sell.

Although I have come to this thread to see if it's worth upgrading my A1 to an XF 300.
I'm particularly attracted to the fact that the 300 is a BBC approved camera. I always get raised eyebrows when handing over work done on an HDDSLR!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders