Still Confused... XMF files to computer? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old September 20th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Still Confused... XMF files to computer?

OK, with the release of the FCP X 10.0.1 update and free trial today, I've downloaded it and am experimenting. I had hoped that files imported into FCP7 as native XDCAM422 would also import into FCP X, but I can't get it to work. I guess I'm going to have to import as ProRes and use those - they work fine.

And, this was also announced:

Camera Import SDK: Camera manufacturers can use the Camera Import SDK to write plug-ins for importing media from a wide range of cameras. For example, Sony is updating their XDCAM EX plug-in to support native import directly into Final Cut Pro X.

Maybe this will get Canon on the ball. Or will that Sony thing work for us too?
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:34 PM   #32
Old Boot

I'd like to see Sony Vegas Pro import a single complete MXF file. Presently I get something like 11 MXFs per hour.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 02:18 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
I'd like to see Sony Vegas Pro import a single complete MXF file. Presently I get something like 11 MXFs per hour.

Grazie
That's just the way the camera records it. When recording at 50Mbps the 2GB file size limit is hit at just over 5 minutes of video & a new file is created. The camera therefore produces about 11x2GB MXF files per hour.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 03:25 AM   #34
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
That's just the way the camera records it.
Yes, and again, I'd just like SONY VP to do what I want, OR that "utility" to do it for me. it shows me a complete clip, why not go on and show me the finished clip in SONY VP? Bizarre....

Is there another format that produces Multi files that come into Vegas as one?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #35
Major Player

As mentioned by the OP, is anyone else using XF series cameras with FCP X? I've discovered that after downloading the latest FCP X update plus the new codecs, I still cannot import directly from the card. However, files imported as ProRes by FCP7 will import, as will files imported by FCP7 as native XDCAM 422 as recommended by Doug Jensen in the Vortex training DVD set.

I still need to try this again in the hopes of taking FCP 7 totally out of the picture:

XfcpX – From Canon XF100 to FCPX – a working flow! – PikaBlog'en - Fotograf Rune Espensen
David Dixon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders