Still Confused... XMF files to computer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old August 19th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Still Confused... XMF files to computer?

Ok, sorry to post this as I am sure it has been discussed, but after using the search feature on this forum and googling, I still can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I just got my XF 300... shot some footage. I need to transfer the footage (the files) to my mac for use in FCP. At this point, I do not want to import into FCP, I simply want to get the footage on my computer to import at a later date into FCP for a project down the road. I have installed the XF utility from the CD that came with the camera. So far I have tried many things, such as opening the files in the XF utility, selecting them and dragging them to my hard drive. I have also tried creating virtual media and importing them to my computer that way... no mater how I do it, FCP will not import (log and transfer) the files from my hard drive and into a project... I always get an error message about having unsupported media. The only way I have successfully imported into FCP is to "Log and Transfer" directly from my CF card via FCP and into a project. This is fine, however I don't want to start the project yet, I just want the video footage off of the CF card so I can erase the card for more shooting. Question 2: If I do simply log and transfer directly into FCP from the CF card, where does the video reside? I simply want to get the video on my computer to be able to import later into FCP... I am coming from the DV tape world of the XH A1, so I am lost! There is something I am not getting with all of this lol. Thanks.
Scott Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Still Confused... XMF files to computer?

You need to retain the CF card folder structure when you copy your footage.

I just drag the 'contents' folder (and thus all the sub-folders) into a folder on my hard drive. Final Cut sees it fine when I log&transfer.

One CF card per folder; don't rename anything from the CF card.

Haven't actually checked to see if I've lost any frames on spanned cards but it seems close enough.

I suppose making a disk image of your CF card would be even safer.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your help...
Scott Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Is there a way to look at the XMF files directly?

I'm using FCPX, so I can't see them with that. I can convert them using Foxreal Video Converter, but that would take all day, literally.

I have VLC, which will show the video, but I guess the files are too large or the bit rate too high, but on my Macbook Pro, I can't hear the audio. The video runs, but the audio doesn't.

I need to be able to view the files to see which ones are worthwhile to convert (using Foxreal). I'm sitting here with a couple of hundred files that I need to review.

Any help would be appreciated.
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #5
Major Player

Is there a way to look at the XMF files directly?

Yes, use XF Utility that came with your camera. It is really useful for backing up, etc., but one of the things it will do is play clips, whether directly from the compact flash card or from the backup on your computer.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Trustee

The utility sounds like your best bet.
Old September 7th, 2011, 01:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Still Confused... XMF files to computer?

It is .MXF not .XMF!!!!

Rajiv
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I'll try again. I've had the 105 for several months and have not yet been able to get "the utility" to do anything.

I have to open each contents folder, open each sub folder, find each XMF file, copy it to another folder, do this 100 times, then convert each of those files before I can view the video. That'll eat up an entire day.

Honestly, it's just not worth the hassle. Nice camera, but the workflow is impossible.
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #9
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dixon View Post
... but one of the things it will do is play clips, whether directly from the compact flash card or from the backup on your computer.
How?

I've had the Utility import the files/footage to a place on one of my 4tb Media discs. When I then refirer-up the Canon Utiliy how do I drill down to view that folder? In my Win7 explorer my clips and structure are still in place. But I've crawled over the Utility and can't find a way to do it. During the import and review stage I see the clips in the Utility, but afterwards, no. I'll except I'm doing something wrong but what that maybe I haven't a clue!

Regards

Graham
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #10
Vortex Media

Graham, are you sure you are running the latest version of the Canon XF Utility? Your problem sounds a lot like what I complained about in my XF305/300 training DVD when the camera first came out. Canon didn't even have a clue about how messed up the workflow was until I brought it to their attention. I don't own my XF305 anymore, but I think the problem has been fixed.

Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

Make sure you are running the latest version and see what happens.
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #11
Regular Crew

You need Ver.1.1 of the canon xf utility. It works fine for me. I dont even use the canon utility that much, I work with Avid MC & link to the clips & after looking at them I consolidate them to my Media drive. I believe FCP allows the same workflow? Doug's tutorials are well worth the time & money. They made the transition to my Canon XF100 much easier for me.
Old September 8th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Just got a call from Rob Turchick with instructions on how to use FCP7 Log and Transfer function.

Works great.

Thanks, Rob!
Old September 8th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #13
Vortex Media

Tom, just don't neglect to adequately archive your original MXF files. Those are your negatives. You may regret it someday if all you have is converted MOV files.
Old September 8th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #14
Trustee

No problem Tom! Since I recommended the camera so strongly, i wanted to make sure you have an all around great experience with it. And thanks for the reminder Doug, not sure I stressed that point.

And btw Doug, just received your xf300/305 DVD and set of warm balance cards! After two years of using the 300, wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything! Been getting great results but theres always room for improvement!
Old September 9th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #15
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Make sure you are running the latest version and see what happens.
I am now and this workflow for viewing is completey opaque to me.

What's virtual media? Why do I need to make folder for this? What's the difference between a Backup and Virtual? Where can I find a step by tutorial. I've read the PDF file, but that just states WHAT things are, not HOW do I use them and the steps.

I've got 3 places where I've successfully backed up my footage. Now, in all that is Hollywood how to do I view them through this wretched utility?

Starting to believe that this software wad designed by the same guy that designed the selection switch.

Like others, I'm viewing myrtle through my NLEs Media manager.

Oh here's a novel thought: How do I name my clips? Or this that another leap into the realms of Vulcan logic?

Loving the camera....

Cheers

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders