telephoto lens suggestions - Vitacon at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old August 27th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

telephoto lens suggestions - Vitacon

One of the restrictions I find with the xf100 is the zoom. I tried the digital zoom but experienced soft focus.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good telephoto lens?

I'm currently in Singapore and was looking at some vitacon telephoto ( 2 x and 2.5x)

Does anyone use this brand, is it any good?
Mark Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Go Cycle

Re: telephoto lens suggestions - Vitacon

Save your money. Any telephoto lens will soften the picture plus vignetting. The camera does not offer interchangeable lenses thus adding glass atop glass will soften the picture.

Use the 1.5 digital zoom only and save money.
Old August 27th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Use either the Canon Tele-Converter or the Century......better glass and a proven track record.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

tried the vitacon in the shop, there was a distinct fuzziness to the edge of the picture. Be good for weddings, but not much else
Old August 29th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Yep, with lesser glass, the softness shows up in the corners/edges.....its easy to do the middle.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,
Fully agree with Lou. I shot some test footage with the XF100 & found the 1.5 tele in the menu retained sharpness. The 3.0 & up was too soft. Assigned a button to have instant tele when needed.
Regards,
Doug.

Last edited by Doug Bailey; September 4th, 2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks Doug and Lou
will stick to 1.5 tele setting
Old September 10th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #8
Go Cycle

Good choice. Doug brings up a good point that I also do: Assign one of the settings to tele-photo. The 1.5 works well. All others, lose definition.
Old September 10th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Bruno View Post
Good choice. Doug brings up a good point that I also do: Assign one of the settings to tele-photo. The 1.5 works well. All others, lose definition.
My experience is that you lose quite a bit at 1.5; when you shoot 1080 the results are about the same as shooting 720, or maybe a little less.

But I got excited, I've recently been shooting 720 60p with the XF 100 and I wondered if Canon was smart enough to just use the center 720 by 1280 pixels when you selected Tele-converter 1.5 (that would be the right ratio and would be fantastic). So I tested 720 60p at 1.5 and it is AWFUL! The algorithm must be something like to first drop rows and columns to get to 720 and then select the center 2/3 of that and interpolate back up to 720. The results would barely get you on YouTube.

But 720 60p itself with the XF100 is very nice; so I just orderd the Canon TL-H58 extender.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Lou,
The assigning of a button for tele use came from one of your earlier posts, so all credit to you for a great tip. Watched your airshow movie on YT recently, beautiful work & thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Doug.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #11
Go Cycle

Thanks Doug. By the way, the 1.5 digital magnification was used in quite a few distance shots. No degradation with the 1.5. Putting glass on top of glass produces vignetting, edge softness and CA.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:22 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull View Post
... so I just orderd the Canon TL-H58 extender.
I've been using the TL-H58 1.5x extender with the XF100 for the last couple of weeks, mostly for surfing and windsurfing. The video quality is very good; I don't see any loss of quality with the extender. I sandwich a polarazing filter between the lens and the extender to control glare off the water.

With 1080p I can also add 1.5x tele-converter and get good results with a small amount of sharpening in post. This gives 684mm equivalent; pleanty for water sports.

No doubt the XF300 would be a better option since the zoom range is limited with the extender, but well, I have an XF100.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 01:43 AM   #13
Major Player

Hi

Charles, is it possible for you to show some test videos with the tele adaptor on your XF100? Especially high detail/contrast scenes. It would be nice to see how such scenes look with the tele adaptor and to see how much artefacts the telephoto lens adds to the original picture. I have plans in the future to by a new camcorder and the XF100 is on my list of possible camcordes, but what holds me back is the small zoom range. I'm used to the XH-A1 650mm and the HV20 430mm tele. The XF100 will only have around 300mm (all 35mm equivalent) which I find to small for my needs. Unfortenately the XF300 is both too heavy and too expensive, so a XF100 with the tele adoptor might fit my needs better.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 01:23 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Sundvall View Post
Charles, is it possible for you to show some test videos with the tele adaptor on your XF100? Especially high detail/contrast scenes.
Bo, here are some jpegs cut from a quick video.
1. 304mm
2. With TL-H58 extender; 456mm
3. With TL-H58 extender and 1.5X Tele-converter, sharpened in post; 684mm
Attached Thumbnails
telephoto lens suggestions - Vitacon-304mm.jpg   telephoto lens suggestions - Vitacon-456mm.jpg  

telephoto lens suggestions - Vitacon-684mm.jpg  
Old October 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi

Thanks for the pictures, I will check them out! On a first look they look absolutely OK.

Rgards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders