Help with XF100 and getting files from card to computer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old September 8th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #1
New Boot

Help with XF100 and getting files from card to computer

I just got the XF100 and I have two Delkin Combat Card 91mb/s 625x. When I record on the cards and watch the video back on the camera it plays just fine. But when I take the cards out and put them in the CF Card Reader (CF udma Rocket Fish) my computer dosnt even pick up that the card is there. Dosnt even pick up the reader at all, but when I take the delkin out and put the sandisk extreme in, it picks right up and i can put the files on my computer. Really confused on why this isn't working. I sent the cards back and they tested them, and they were fine. I am using a Dell Latitude E6410... Any Help or suggestions would be great. Oh I am not sure if the guys that tested it ever took the card out of camera and put it in a card reader or not.

Also I have tried the Canon Utility but it dosnt pick up that the card is there at all as well. I have tried reinstalling the software with the same result.

I am using premiere Pro Cs5 with editing, but it dosn't really matter because I cant get the file off the card.

thanks again.
Jason Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Help with XF100 and getting files from card to computer

Hi Jason,
I wonder if the problem might be the Rocket Fish card reader? I've only seen these at Best Buy, but my impression is they're kind of store brand, lower end products (could be wrong...).
Anyway, an older cf card reader might have problems with the newer cards. I have a new Delkin USB 3.0 card reader (had to get a USB 3 interface card for my pc) and it's really good/fast. The data from my XF300 is read really quickly. I also have a Sandisk USB 2 reader and it works ok, but slower of course.
Does your Dell laptop have an Express card slot? If so, you may be able to find a USB 3.0 card that would allow you to use the newer standard.
So - if the reader is older or a really lower end model, maybe think of upgrading to a USB 3.0 slot/reader, and try a newer/more name brand reader.

Good luck!
Larry Becker
Larry Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #3
New Boot

Larry, you were right on the money. I called Delkin and they told me the rocket fish and other older card readers couldn't read the card, because the controller in the card wasn't compatible with the older card readers. So I went and bought another one, which wasn't working either. Went to staples to get a new chair and saw they had a Kodak 50-1 reader so I tired it, and wa la we have one that works perfect. I hope this saves someone else some time, because it took me about half a day to figure out the problem. thanks
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Glad it worked for you, Jason!

You may also have some grief with Premiere Pro CS5. There is an issue with CS5 and the way it uses/releases RAM in your PC that was solved with CS5.5.

Welcome to the XF club!

Larry
Old September 9th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #5
New Boot

Larry,
quick question when you shoot with your xf, do you shoot a really flat style picture then adjust in post, or use custom pic styles. thanks
Old September 10th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I've been shooting with the recommended settings on the Vortex Media's video on the XF300. The settings were ok, but not quite "there" for me-UNTIL on my last shoot I used Vortex's "Warm Card" (1/4 card) to help the skin tones... I had been shooting on auto white balance... Wow! Huge difference! And it literally takes 2 seconds to do a custom white balance.

I was spending so much time in post trying to get skin tones that look good... (using Premiere tools and now Colorista). Nailed it pretty much in camera...

Doug's XF 300/305 video may be helpful for the XF 100... Maybe check with Vortex Media on it. I think I've read of someone with an XF100 that uses it.

Also visit the Vimeo group on XF cameras for some input on CP settings...

Larry
Old September 10th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #7
Go Cycle

Were the skin tones, originally, too red? Curious.
Old September 10th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Skin tones

No, not too red - the white balance was too cool, so everything looked a little pale. Using a warm card, well, warmed up the skin tones nicely.

Are you having trouble with skin tones? That OFTEN is white balance related. I'm so spoiled by shooting RAW with my 5DII and 1DIII that I got used to not worrying too much about white balance. It's really important in video... no RAW...

Red Giant's Colorista II is a pretty cool program for nailing skin tones or other color issues. I just got that last week and am having fun with it. Their Looks software is interesting as well.

Larry
Larry Becker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders