Renting the XF305 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old October 7th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Tourist

Renting the XF305

Hi there,

I'm trying to rent 8 Canon XF305s in Los Angeles and for some reason none of the rental houses carry them apart from Sammy's and they only have 2. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Brian L. Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Renting the XF305

I'm almost surprised you could find 2 to rent around here. Purchasing them has even been difficult. I bought my XF-300 in May and found only one at Samy's in Culver City (which I bought), none at Samy's in LA, and one demo at FilmTools in Burbank. Have you called them? I don't think they rent equipment, but might be able to point you to someone who does. Jim from there is on this board from time to time and he's really great to talk to. Very helpful - pointed me in some helpful directons several times on equipment.

Sorry I don't have more for you - what are you shooting?

Larry
Larry Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Brian, yeah 8 is a lot. Do you have 8 shooters who know the XF305?

If you've got the time what about asking here for LA shooters + their cameras.

Try googling for local video camera clubs, what ideas do they have? Will the shops give you some help by providing a list of some customers. Good luck.

btw; you're not making a movie about a crew making a movie about a crew making a movie about a crew making a movie etc .. are you? Is that why you need 8?

Actually I always thought that'd be a good movie plot, have some fun with that :)

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; October 7th, 2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: idea
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #4
Tourist

Larry - Thanks for the tips. I've met Jim before at Cinegear and have bought a ton of stuff from FilmTools. Thanks for the lead.

To answer your question, I'm the heading up a video team for a big event at Paramount next month. Think BTS/ENG/Red carpet kind of coverage.

Allan - It's definitely been difficult. Haha that would be an awesome movie plot indeed, but alas, nothing quite that exciting. Think more like event coverage of a movie studio, hence the big camera need.

I do think you have a good idea about just hiring someone on here that shoots with and HAS a XF305 already. Anyone know of anyone? =P
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Trustee

Unless you need the 305 for genlock and TC, Phoenix is only a 90 min flight! Fly me out and put me up for the night and you'll have a 300 with all sorts of other goodies! (GlideCam, wireless audio, portable lights) Just a thought!
Old October 7th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian L. Tan View Post
Larry - Thanks for the tips. I've met Jim before at Cinegear and have bought a ton of stuff from FilmTools. Thanks for the lead.

To answer your question, I'm the heading up a video team for a big event at Paramount next month. Think BTS/ENG/Red carpet kind of coverage.

Allan - It's definitely been difficult. Haha that would be an awesome movie plot indeed, but alas, nothing quite that exciting. Think more like event coverage of a movie studio, hence the big camera need.

I do think you have a good idea about just hiring someone on here that shoots with and HAS a XF305 already. Anyone know of anyone? =P
FilmTools is a VERY dangerous (money-wise, anyway) place to visit... really good prices, helpful people, good selection - dangerous combination! Especially for those of us who are paying our own way in this stuff. Glad you met Jim - I really appreciated him - and even knowing I'm a rank amateur at all this, he spent time with me. Very kind.

I imagine with 8 cameras you'd NEED genlock and time codes just to sync everything up. What a nightmare it would be without it. Someone just sent me about 100 B roll clips to mix in with some video I shot on the 300 and I'm having fits trying to find just the time to edit it all. I was supposed to have jury duty next week (had to postphone it) and was thinking I'd just bring a laptop along and try to sort some of it out during the endless down time.

Anyway, sounds like a fun project - good luck finding the cameras!

Larry
Larry Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #7
Major Player

Brian-
Almost all of the 300s & 305s have been sold to individuals or shows. We did sell 6 XF105s to VER, the biggest rental house in LA (they were the ones used on Survivor)......and I'd think would be more than fine for your application....and, since I'll be at the event and maybe walking the red carpet, the 105s do make me look good & younger! As for buying, our space agency took all the September allocations so every dealer has been short for a month or so..give me a call and maybe I can help you out.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Last edited by Jim Martin; October 8th, 2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: grammer, not Kelsey
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #8
Tourist

Jim - The 105 is a pretty nifty camera but unfortunately the sponsors/event organizers specifically want the 305. I guess more for the product visibility than anything else. Arrgh.

Oh and don't worry, we'll make you look good on the 305s =P

Robert - Unfortunately they are specifically asking for the 305 (and not the 300), and want SD-HDI out as well as genlock sync. I would've loved to fly you out here otherwise.

Larry - Ah yes ain't that the truth! Everytime I'm there I'm like a kid in a candy store.
Old October 19th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #9
New Boot

Brian,
If you're still looking. Check out FilmIndependent.org. I work there and we have several XF300's available to our membership.
John Gardiner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders