DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   xf100 final cut pro x upgrade (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/501476-xf100-final-cut-pro-x-upgrade.html)

Richard Kane October 10th, 2011 05:58 PM

xf100 final cut pro x upgrade

Hi just wondering if the latest update to final cut pro allows for import
from the xf100? I am still using the older version of final cut pro and have know problems importing
but still have had no success with the latest version of final cut X

David Dixon October 10th, 2011 08:06 PM

Re: xf100 final cut pro x upgrade

The latest upgrade does not allow direct import into FCP X. The existing plugin for FCP7 was created by Canon, but they have not updated it yet for FCP X. The update announcement did say that there was now an SDK so that camera manufacturers could create a plugin, so I hope that Canon will act on that.

In the meantime, there are several other options for import that have been suggested in other threads on this forum.

Tom Gresham November 15th, 2011 10:35 AM

Just wanted to see if there had been any change here.

I'm completely fed up with the nonsense of having to convert files from my XF105 in order to edit them in FCPX.

Is there anything on the horizon which will allow me to edit these files without all the stupid tricks people are using?

If not, I'm ready to dump the Canon and get a different camera.

David Dixon November 15th, 2011 11:41 AM

XfcpX – From Canon XF100 to FCPX – a working flow! – PikaBlog'en - Fotograf Rune Espensen

...is a free solution that works with only a couple of steps. If you tried this earlier, be sure to download the latest version - it fixes a few glitches. It just rewraps the clips, no transcoding.

But, no movement from Canon. I saw just today where Panasonic just released a new importer for their new cameras, so Canon needs to address this.

David Dixon November 15th, 2011 11:52 AM

...and here's Apple's official policy, but I've read a lot of reports that it doesn't work satisfactorily - mainly audio sync problems. Some have recommended using Adobe Media Encoder, but that recompresses the files to .mp4 - no good.

Final Cut Pro X: Importing Sony XDCAM media

Steve Maller November 16th, 2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Kane (Post 1687712)
Hi just wondering if the latest update to final cut pro allows for import
from the xf100? I am still using the older version of final cut pro and have know problems importing
but still have had no success with the latest version of final cut X

What version of FCP are you using? FCP7 (and FCS3) work great with my XF100 using Log & Transfer. Not sure how much more simple it could be.

I have no interest in the "downgrade" from FCP7 to FCX until Apple at least brings the new version up to par with FCP7.

Tom Gresham November 16th, 2011 01:58 PM

>>I have no interest in the "downgrade" from FCP7 to FCX until Apple at least brings the new version up to par with FCP7.<<

And, just as a data point, I have no interest in trying to master FCP7, even though I own it. I have been able to turn out video with FXPX, so that's what I'll be using.

I tried the log and transfer with FCP7, when someone was holding my hand, and could make it work. But, I fire up the video editing software only every three to five weeks, so by the time I got back to it, I couldn't make it work. It's stupid to have to create this kind of workaround, anyway.

For me, it has to be simple, simple, simple. I'd much rather switch cameras than try to learn another piece of software.

So, what camera make/model works directly with FCPX?

David Dixon November 16th, 2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Gresham (Post 1697522)

So, what camera make/model works directly with FCPX?

Well, this should help:

Final Cut Pro X Supported Cameras

But, the short answer is - anything that shoots AVCHD. Or, h.264, like most DLSRs. In fact, the XF series Canons are pretty much the only thing that will NOT work directly with FCPX. It's due to Canon's use of the .mxf wrapper. Canon had an import plug in for FCP7 which made it pretty transparent in Log and Capture - which you had to use for EVERY camera, so we just got used to it. But for some reason they are taking forever to do the same for FCPX.

To each his own - I love both FCPX and the XF100 and am not willing to give up either. So, I have been using FCP7 to get the files where I could import to FCPX, but am now starting to use the freeware solution in my post #4 above.

Tom Gresham November 16th, 2011 02:56 PM

Thanks, David.

I have XfcpX. Can't understand how it's supposed to work.

I do not, by the way, use the Canon XF utility to transfer files. I just copy the entire contents folder to a hard drive.

I can not figure out how to get XfcpX to see that Contents folder. Any suggestions?

David Dixon November 16th, 2011 03:09 PM

Well, in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf...ion-issue.html

Rune Espensen (who created the software I linked to in #4 above) discusses more about how to use it. I do use the XF Utility program to back up my cards. At one point his solution required that, but in the thread I just linked to he talks about file structures, etc. that should make it work without going through the Utility.

As you probably know, the file structures have to be exact for this to work. I'm just guessing here, but you may have to go one level higher on the card and copy the entire card (icon) to the hard drive, not just the contents folder.

And, again, he's made some changes to the software, so if you downloaded it more than a couple of weeks ago I'd get it again.

Sorry, I can't give a detailed workflow, maybe in a day or two I can look at that again.

Sam Young November 16th, 2011 09:42 PM

No FCPX for me either, I hope Apple comes out with a 64bit FCP... Using all available cores and memory would b amazing.

Nigel Barker November 17th, 2011 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Young (Post 1697642)
No FCPX for me either, I hope Apple comes out with a 64bit FCP... Using all available cores and memory would b amazing.

We have switched to Premiere Pro & it's lovely to see all 8 cores & 16GB on the Mac Pro being utilised. Like many other switchers we have discovered that FCP had stagnated for a few years while PP caught up & surpassed it. If it hadn't been for FCPX we would never have looked at PP. The one thing I do miss is Log & Transfer for Canon MXF files.