Anyone in Raleigh, NC with an XF-100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old October 16th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone in Raleigh, NC with an XF-100?

I need a big favor from some coleague in Raleigh. I have a Panasonic HMC40 and a Sony AX2000, and I'm thinking about getting rid of the Panasonic because its low light performance is awful, but I prefer not to get another AX2000 as it's rather heavy for many hours of hand held and its built in mic has terrible sound. So I've been thinking about getting an XF-100, but only if the low light performance is at least as good as the AX2000, and if it is eventually I would like to get two to replace the Sony as well, but I was wondering if someone in Raleigh or adjacent areas has an XF-100 that I can check out for like half an hour in a couple of different settings, like outdoors and then indoors in low light to compare to my AX2000.

And of course, I could let you play with my AX2000 if you want. If anyone's interested, please shoot me a private message.

Thanks,

Sebastian
Sebastian Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Anyone in Raleigh, NC with an XF-100?

Sebastian - I'm just over in Knoxville but that's still a pretty long drive :-)

I had the use of an HMC40 prior to getting my XF100. I can tell you that the low light is light years better on the XF100. The HMC40 is famous for being very sharp in good light, but to me the XF100 matches it.

I have no knowledge of the AX2000, other than the specs on B&H. The AX seems to have a longer zoom and a few more "pro" features, but the Canon is about 4 inches shorter and is less than half the weight. I love the size of the Canon.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Honestly i woul recommend the canon 5dmarkII or 7d and build a shoulder rig with follow focus, and eyecup.

Interchangeable lenses i a must for good video, if you do this it will save about 2k from a xf100.

Also i am in Fayetteville, thats only about 45 minutes from you. I run a media production company and will be hiring soon.
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Corey, thanks for the tip, but don't DSLRs get overheated pretty easily and shut down? That alone would make them a deal breaker, but also for event videography I don't see myself working with a DSLR. I'm guessing variable and smooth zoom must be really hard to achieve with DSLRs, and I read autofocus is not that great in the ones that even have it. I wouldn't dare shoot a dynamic event without autofocus, which is another reason I want to get the XF-100, I read that the autofocus is great in that model and the XF-300. My Sony AX2000's autofocus can fail in less than ideal situations, just for a second or two.
Sebastian Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #5
New Boot

As beautiful as HDSLR video is --- it is NOT less money than an XF100... you'll spend much more than the cost of a XF100 just to get a HDSLR system put together and then you'll be crippled the lack of zoom, focus control, etc. I love my 7D rig but I've come to realize I miss the spontaneity of shooting with a dedicated video camera. With the XF100 I don't have to fuss with a host of add-ons in order to shoot something.
Michael Fousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

And with the xf 100, it is compact and easy to carry anywhere. It has been with in to Ethiopia, to the backwoods of China. It is an amazingly small camera, with good quality controls (especially the zoom rockers).

I do not have a video dslr, though I do have a Nikon D700. If I had to use the D700 for everyday video work, I think I would reconsider the value of my life. ;) To get the necessary gear for decent focus, zoom, audio etc, your rig will look it a Transformers robot. All for depth of field and low light shooting.

I've used a friends 5D mark II to take some video shots, the lack of auto focus alone will deter me from want to use a hdslr for a long while.
Sam Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders