DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   LCD stutter at 24p - Any way to adjust?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/502215-lcd-stutter-24p-any-way-adjust.html)

Robert McKoen November 1st, 2011 12:27 PM

LCD stutter at 24p - Any way to adjust??

Hi,

I have an Xf300.

I've shot mostly 60i for all the projects I have done before but I jumping over to 24p for a music video. Now is it me or does the footage via the LCD viewfinder stutter and look slightly off when my lead singer is lip syncing to the playback? When I play back the recorded footage on the LCD or on my computer it's fine. It's smooth and lip sync is on but when the XF300 is recording live the footage just looks stuttery and slightly delayed either in the LCD or an external monitor via HDMI. Am I doing something wrong? Can I adjust the LCD to give me a better look during recording? Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Doug Jensen November 2nd, 2011 06:25 AM

Re: LCD stutter at 24p - Any way to adjust??

Hi Robert,

You're actually seeing two things going on that probably don't have anything to with each other. I talk about both of these issues in my three hour XF305/300 training DVD.

Mastering the Canon XF305/300 Camcorders training DVD

First, the "stutter" you see in the viewfinder is because you're shooting 24P. 24P always looks very different on the camera's LCD than 60i and it just takes some getting used to. After you shoot 24P for awhile you'll think 60i is the funny looking one when you see it again. I always shoot 30P and whenever I pickup a camera that is set for interlaced my automatic reaction is "what the #^$%$ is wrong with your camera!". Then I realize the poor soul is still shooting interlaced for some reason.

The second issue, with the audio being out of sync with the video while you are shooting -- but okay when you play it back in post -- is probably due to the camera's Monitor Delay setting.

Go to the AUDIO OUTPUT menu section and check the MONITOR DELAY setting. Whenever you’re shooting, there can be a slight audio delay between the video you’re seeing on the screen and the sound that’s being sent to both the headphones and the analog AV Terminal. The purpose of the MONITOR DELAY sub-menu is to bring the audio and video into sync.

“Normal” allows you to listen to the audio in real-time, but it will appear a few frames out of sync with the video. That is probably what your camera is set for. “Line Out” delays the audio a little bit to match the video delay so they appear in sync. However, if your headphones don’t block all of the ambient sound, then you’ll experience a very annoying echo effect. You may decide just to leave it on "normal", but at least you'll understand why there is a delay.

I hope that helps. If you have my XF305/300 training DVD, go back and watch the audio chapter again on disc two. It's a complicated camera with a lot to try and remember. Good luck.

Robert McKoen November 2nd, 2011 12:49 PM

Re: LCD stutter at 24p - Any way to adjust??

Thank you Doug for rescuing this poor 60i soul....lol!

I went from shooting XL1 (60i) for a decade to finally making the jump to the XF300 last year. The first thing I did was buy your DVD training video and it helped me tremendously. Obviously there's so much to learn that I will continue to review the DVD's. And any one with questions about the Xf300/305 needs to buy this training video. It's invaluable.

Thank you for your thorough and quick answer to my problem.

It's time for me to leave the interlaced world behind....ahhhh....I'm feeling more progressive as I type this.

Cheers,

Rob