DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Benefits of slow motion feature? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/503131-benefits-slow-motion-feature.html)

Will Gentile November 29th, 2011 02:52 PM

Benefits of slow motion feature?

I searched a bit and could not find my answer, this is a new feature to me so I am curious about it a bit. I have an XF300.

What is the benefit to activating and recording via the slow motion feature on the camera, versus just filming in standard 60fps and applying slow motion to that in post?

Is there a difference or benefit to one way over the other?

Thanks guys, sorry if its a bit of a novice question.

John Gardiner November 29th, 2011 04:00 PM

Re: Benefits of slow motion feature?

It just allows you to playback your footage in camera at a normal rate. Very useful if you're trying to get a specific effect.

You can also record at different frame rates like 48p for a 1/2 speed slow motion

Allan Black November 29th, 2011 04:10 PM

Far better selection and control doing it in post.

Cheers.

Alan McCormick November 29th, 2011 04:40 PM

You can achieve a far better results using the in-camera slow motion than you can in post and it is a lot faster than having to render it out. And Yes you can review immediately in the LCD :).

I use FCS and use Motion Optical Flow for slow motion and although it is excellent it takes time. With the trials I have done over the last couple of days I have been very impressed with the XF300 Slow Motion, I suppose the trick is to use it when you "need to" and remember to turn it off to go back to normal shooting.

Will Gentile November 29th, 2011 05:12 PM

thanks guys, that sheds some light on it. appreciated

Nigel Barker December 4th, 2011 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan McCormick (Post 1700403)
You can achieve a far better results using the in-camera slow motion than you can in post and it is a lot faster than having to render it out. And Yes you can review immediately in the LCD :).

I use FCS and use Motion Optical Flow for slow motion and although it is excellent it takes time. With the trials I have done over the last couple of days I have been very impressed with the XF300 Slow Motion, I suppose the trick is to use it when you "need to" and remember to turn it off to go back to normal shooting.

If you know that you will be wanting to slow the footage down then shooting at 50/60fps then conforming in Cinema Tools to whatever frame rate delivers the required slow down takes next to no time (it just flips some bits in the file header).