DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Audio does not record on XF305 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/503175-audio-does-not-record-xf305.html)

Bob Prichard November 30th, 2011 10:11 PM

Audio does not record on XF305

I'm in Big Sur this week shooting nature footage and my 305 fails to record audio every once in a while.

My clips run about 5 minutes each. I have a Sennheiser shotgun mike mounted, and monitor the audio through headphones and keep my eye on the level meter.

But every once in while, the audio does not record with the video. When I play the clip back--no audio.

Sometimes what will happen is that there is a short period of what sounds like static (hard to tell because I am recording surf in high wind conditions) and then the audio cuts out.

On some clips, no audio at all.

Anyone else run into this problem? Any fixes?

By the way, I did replace the mic battery when this first happened, and then replaced it again. But no change.

Audio problem occurs about every six or seven clips.

Alan McCormick December 1st, 2011 12:20 AM

Re: Audio does not record on XF305

2 questions come to mind initially:

1. Do you get sound from the onboard mic at all?
2. Have you tried another attached mic?

Then of course the one that can trick anyone - have you accidentally left your audio attenuator on?

Bob Prichard December 1st, 2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan McCormick (Post 1700671)
2 questions come to mind initially:

1. Do you get sound from the onboard mic at all?
2. Have you tried another attached mic?

Then of course the one that can trick anyone - have you accidentally left your audio attenuator on?

1. I get sound from the onboard mic and the Sennheiser. The failure to record to the CF card is intermittent.
2. Unfortunately, I do not have a second mic.
3. Thank you for the suggestion regarding the level limiter. I checked the menu and it is off.

Hoping someone has some suggestions regarding this intermittent audio problem.

Markus Oginero December 1st, 2011 09:42 AM

And if u do special record-mode
u will get no sound to...

Anything can happend,
by playing with the buttoms..
i hope the best for that it is only a litle failure made by yourself ;-)

Harm Millaard December 2nd, 2011 04:20 AM

Bob,

You are obviously using the Sennheiser with a battery. What happens when you use Phantom power instead? I think that is even easier, because there is no need to turn the shotgun on or off.

Alan McCormick December 2nd, 2011 04:48 AM

Depends if the Mic will accept phantom but it is the next area I would look at - not the 1st time I have added a "new" battery which was bad.

Don Palomaki December 2nd, 2011 06:51 AM

Are you saying that you do get audio in the headphones, but it is not recording to the CF card while you did hear it in the head phones?

Old batteries may work briefly after a period of rest and then surprise you. I tend to have a fair number of batteries on hand, and every so often I find one that was removed form a piece of gear (or aged out) and found its way into the new battery drawer rather than the trash.

Chris Stevens December 2nd, 2011 08:12 AM

Bob, I too had the same intermittent audio problem. Eventually reset the 305 to factory defaults, then set it up again. No audio drop out since...
I believe my case may be due to shooting at sea mostly. Salt gets everywhere - & we all know how good that is for cameras!

Graham Bernard December 2nd, 2011 09:52 PM

Does the audio cut-out at a similar visual "cue"?

G