XF300 Pattern issue with video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:28 AM   #16
New Boot

Re: XF300 Pattern issue with video

Happy New Year!

Here is a gain test video i did. the pattern lines clearly appear in -6 and -3 and go away at 0

I film mainly outdoors in -6 and -3 so thats why i see it.

Gain Test XF300 - YouTube

Last edited by Edward Klassen; January 2nd, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
Edward Klassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:41 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks for the mxf. The pattern is clearly visible but looks somewhat different from what my XF300 shows up. In my case it increases above 0db values. I'll check out the –3db & –6db settings tomorrow. I suppose altering coring and denoiser settings doesn't make any difference?
Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:09 PM   #18
New Boot

I have tried altering coring and spent some time messing around with other values and using ND and no ND's full auto manual etc, etc. and also reset the camera today. It shut down then rebooted and the issue is still there. I tried default cp and various other's like bbc's but can't make it go away. I'm planning to contact canon tomorrow.

EDIT: Some more testing and my issue disappears (in -6, -3) when i select 30p or 24p (192x1080) and when i select 60i the pattern appears again in -6 and -3.
Edward Klassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:21 PM   #19
Major Player

Canon response, (What they want to say)

Dear Martin,

Guten tag and thank you for your purchase of our Canon XF300 and sorry about the problems you are having. Our gold embossed third tier technicians have gone over your screen grab and would like to offer a few suggestions to get the most from your new camera.

Try and not have backlighting as your only source of illumination. Especially if you are going to pursue a pottery selling career on Ebay, it may be highly beneficial to go over to the photon section of this excellent forum and read about this very thing.

We have found through extensive testing that having light (natural or artificial) illuminate your subject in somewhat the same direction as your camera lens would cure 90% of all problems. Not operating with too high a gain will take care of the last 10%.

As you can see from your screen grab, what little outside light reflecting off of the table washes out the bottom half of the vase and yet no pattern in the dark part of the vase. The one thing we did well nobody mentions, of course.

We at Canon are constantly striving to defeat the physics of light, poor composition and even worse subject manner. To those ends we admit we have failed miserably in implementing those features in designing this camera. If you are really unsatisfied we would understand if you traded this in for say a Sony or Panasonic product and continued to pursue this line of camera critique with them.

What we did implement to contend with this type of footage is made it very easy to access the media section of your camera, highlight this footage and hit delete. No need to send it to us or post it online, most people have enough bad footage of their own. If you need more examples, such as a rack focus slider move on a candle that nobody would ever use that looks like crap, we have that too.

As a side note, to spice up ones mundane wide airport shots we highly recommend to include a crashing plane in the footage. A huge ball of fire upon impact is another great way to avert attention away from noisy background footage. Or Bigfoot, Bigfoot is always good.

Danke, Happy New Year and look forward to coming out with the camera everybody really wants in 2012.

The Canon Team (Not really, but I hope you get the point)
Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:45 PM   #20
Trustee

Omg - roflol!!!
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:18 PM   #21
Major Player

Oh Canon Team, you're such a spoil sport, taking all the fun out of spending countless hours pixel peeping test footage in poorly concocted scenes.

However will I while away my evenings now?
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:01 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Re: Canon response, (What they want to say)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chilson View Post
As you can see from your screen grab, what little outside light reflecting off of the table washes out the bottom half of the vase and yet no pattern in the dark part of the vase. The one thing we did well nobody mentions, of course.
Yes, I should have mentioned that! Thanks David CanonTeam for not taking it too serious. Now I'm really looking forward to 201X ...
Old January 3rd, 2012, 05:06 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Klassen View Post
I have tried altering coring and spent some time messing around with other values and using ND and no ND's full auto manual etc, etc. and also reset the camera today. It shut down then rebooted and the issue is still there. I tried default cp and various other's like bbc's but can't make it go away. I'm planning to contact canon tomorrow.

EDIT: Some more testing and my issue disappears (in -6, -3) when i select 30p or 24p (192x1080) and when i select 60i the pattern appears again in -6 and -3.
Regarding my „pattern phenomenon“ it seems to be a different issue then. I've just tried both 1080/50i and 25p at -3 & -6db and couldn't reproduce your pattern looks. Maybe Canon has an answer...
Good luck and please keep us informed!
Old March 31st, 2014, 10:08 PM   #24
Tourist

Hello everyone. I am writing from Japan.
I am using the XF305, but the noise pattern is seen in the same way as Mr. steimann. I can be found in the PC monitor 27-inch and 46inch HDTV.
CANON replaced the main board and CMOS,but it does not have improved.
the pattern noise,occur at around video level 10%?
Yasuhiro Murakami is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders