XF-100 & Vinton Vision Blue Tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old January 7th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XF-100 & Vinton Vision Blue Tripod

I'm thinking of purchasing this tripod but am concerned about the minimum weight listed in the specs as 4.6 lbs. Does anyone use this rig & have you had any problems balancing the camera?
Old January 7th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: XF-100 & Vinton Vision Blue Tripod

I use the Blue for XF-105. Strictly speaking, the camera is too light for the Blue head but by positioning the camera forward, on center, or rearward on the head, I can get a natural resting position that works for my needs.

For example, if I'm shooting an orchestra from a catwalk, I just position the camera and plate as far forward on the head as they will go. This puts the camera's COG well forward of the head so at rest the camera points down about 30 degrees, which is just where I need to be shooting. The tradeoff is that if I did for some reason need to shoot high, that would be going against the COG grain, as it were. If I was shooting an air show, I'd just put the camera rearward as far as it could go in relation to the head...but would have to manually adjust the camera/plate position toward center to easily get crowd or other ground shots taken at horizontal or lower.

A more complete solution would be to create a mount to provide a bit more mass and leverage to allow even balancing in all positions. Not sure if anyone has done that. I'm still hoping that Vinten will provided a user-replaceable, lighter spring or a leveraging adaptor for the legions wanting to use a Blue with a very lightweight camera.

I also have a 5-6 year old Vinten Vision 3, for which user-replaceable springs can be ordered. Buying a #1 or #2 spring is on my to-do list.

Both of these tripods are so very smooth. Since the Vision 3 doesn't have the right spring tension now, it isn't quite fair to say this, but it seems that the Blue has even smoother whip pans than the V3. Whenever I do get a light spring for the V3, I'll be posting about how that works out.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Pete
Thanks for the reply. I hope Vinton will do something to fix this situation, I'm going to email them & see what their response is. It should not be that difficult to fix this.
Old January 7th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Trustee

Also see this post I made a while back:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-s...sion-blue.html

It's a reasonably neat way of adding a litte extra weight if the camera is not too far eblow the minimum payload. Plus the Manfrotto plate system means you are still lightweight if you go handheld.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
I hope Vinton will do something to fix this situation
They are.

Interim solutions include:

1. A Manfrotto 577 adapter attached to the slide plate to give a tad more height and ditto weight "up top".

Works for some.

2. If you don't mind getting agricultural, a piece of slab steel, 1/2" thick, cut to the same dimensions as the slide plate, drilled with a clearance hole for a 1/4" X 20 bolt. Replace the existing bolt in the slide plate with an appropriately sized flat headed 1/4" X 20 bolt cut to suit the extra thickness of the slab.

Not the sort of thing you can whip up in your kitchen, but works for some, too.

3. If you just happen to have an ageing hot/ cold shoe mount flash gun lying around in a drawer somewhere (the bigger, the better), load it up with batteries and whack that on the cold shoe of the camera. That works too.

4. Pimp the camera with anything you can think of - external mic, radio receiver etc etc, the higher the better.

Peter,

the #2 spring in the Vision 3 is way too powerfull, from memory.

I have a V3 and a shed load of springs.

For my dinky cam (HV20) I just took the spring out altogether and used a tad of tilt drag, worked an absolute treat.

If you wish to give the spring thing a go, fire a mail to Peter.Harman@VitecGroup.com , he's the Product Manager for Vinten, I'm sure he can sort you with a #1 and #2, he's a good bloke.

CS

Bugger: Mike beat me to it, yet again.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies. I have an Azden dual channel receiver that I can load up with batteries & use until a fix is implemented.
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Thanks, Chris. While I'm at it, I'll probably just order both the #1 and #2 as I intend to have the V3 a long time and one never knows what one may want atop it in the future. It has a #4 in it now that was good for XL-H1 and, if my memory hasn't failed me, is about right for the XF305. Guess I should recheck that before I order.

Mike, as you can tell, you stirred up a bunch of Vinten fans here but I guess I should also mention that Sachtler is coming out with a lightweight head and sticks called the Ace for about $500. Don't believe I've seen a review of a retail-purchased unit yet. With my Vinten bias I'm doubtful something at that price point will be as smooth, but it is designed specifically for lightweight cameras.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822102-REG/Sachtler_1001_Ace_Fluid_Head_with.html
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Pete
I have looked at that tripod & read Peter Blooms review. In the blog following the review a fellow who bought one mentioned a slight kick back when stopping your pan. He said he emailed them & they replied it was a known problem so he returned it. The Vinton Blue costs more but seems to be worth the money.
Old January 8th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Major Player

I use the new Sachtler Cine DSLR head with Gitzo CF legs (and 75mm bowl). An excellent combination, which works well with my DSLR's as well.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #10
Major Player

Our XF100 team uses a Miller 10 head on Sachtler sticks, and it works very well. Miller rebuilt the head and it balances perfectly with the XF100. No kickback.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #11
Trustee

I would point out that the "bunch" of Vinten fans (is two a bunch?) responded because the original post was about a Vinten tripod. Of course, other brands should be considered, there's more to life than Vinten's Vision Blue. So they tell me, anyway!

The Sachtler Ace is perfectly suited to cameras like this. The only thing that would throw me are the feet, and I'm sure you could do something about them. I recall that Philip Bloom mentioned the feet as well.

Last edited by Mike Beckett; January 10th, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
They are.

Interim solutions include:

1. A Manfrotto 577 adapter attached to the slide plate to give a tad more height and ditto weight "up top".

Works for some.

2. If you don't mind getting agricultural, a piece of slab steel, 1/2" thick, cut to the same dimensions as the slide plate, drilled with a clearance hole for a 1/4" X 20 bolt. Replace the existing bolt in the slide plate with an appropriately sized flat headed 1/4" X 20 bolt cut to suit the extra thickness of the slab.

Not the sort of thing you can whip up in your kitchen, but works for some, too.

3. If you just happen to have an ageing hot/ cold shoe mount flash gun lying around in a drawer somewhere (the bigger, the better), load it up with batteries and whack that on the cold shoe of the camera. That works too.

4. Pimp the camera with anything you can think of - external mic, radio receiver etc etc, the higher the better.

Peter,

I have a V3 and a shed load of springs.

For my dinky cam (HV20) I just took the spring out altogether and used a tad of tilt drag, worked an absolute treat.

If you wish to give the spring thing a go, fire a mail to Peter.Harman@VitecGroup.com , he's the Product Manager for Vinten, I'm sure he can sort you with a #1 and #2, he's a good bloke.

CS

Bugger: Mike beat me to it, yet again.
I have sent two messages to Peter Harman as yet not answered. As you see in Chris's post he said "they are" going to do something for the lighter cameras.My messages ask , Are you going to modify the vision blue to handle the smaller cameras and if so will the user be able to do this in the field? I dont mind using the suggested work arounds but if they were going to do something soon I could wait. I am very disappointed in Vintons service & think I should get a reply out of common courtesy. After all I was a potential customer
Old January 17th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #13
Major Player

Mike,

I wrote Peter about this on January 3. This was his response:

Hi Jonathan, sorry, still no spacer but we do have a design. We are at least 9 months away from having it, so not great news. When do you plan to get the XF100?

All the best

Peter Harman
Product Manager, Vinten
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Jonathan
Thank you for the reply, that sure seems like a long time for a fix?
Old January 18th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi all. Seems like the site had kicked me off for a while (it did the same last year too) and I had assumed (wrongly) that nothing was going on. We are always looking at how we can extend the performance range of all our products, and the open dialogue we have here gives us the pointers we need to stay on top. However, we don’t have a solution for the smaller camera on the Vision blue just yet. When we do have firm plans, I will let you all know, but for now I’m afraid there isn’t anything to tell. Unfortunately, you can’t simply replace the spring on a Vision blue without taking the head apart, so we won’t be going down that route.

I’ve seen several home-made solutions over the past 12 months and they all seem to use the Manfrotto adaptors in one way or another. The additional height it offers is quite often enough to bring the smaller cameras just inside the range of the Vision blue.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders