Need workflow help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old February 20th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need workflow help

I need some advice on the workflow of working with files from the XF100 and XF105.

I have both cameras. A good example of what we do is last week's shoot. In 2.5 days, I ended up with 10 files labeled "CONTENTS" from the Canon cameras. I put each CONTENTS folder into another folder.

I am not using the Canon utility when copying the files from the cards. I always have to spend an hour or so figuring out how to use that utility program, and there just isn't time on the shoot, so I just copy the folders.

Now, I have all these folders on a hard drive. (Actually, on two hard drives, because I'm paranoid.)

Can I use the Canon Utility on these CONTENTS folders?

My goal is to get all the files broken out (not four files per subfolder, as Canon sets them up on the cards). Then I need to be able to view the video, and relabel the file names so I can then give them to the editor.

I'm looking at it taking two or three full days to do this to the files from this shoot.

Any suggestions sure would be appreciated.

Oh, I'm working on a Mac (have a Macbook Pro and a new Imac). Have FCP7 and FCPX on both machines. Just downloaded the latest plugin from Canon for FCPX.

I'm not editing. Just need to see the files, rename them, and give them (and an editing script) to the production house.
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Need workflow help

Why not use the log and transfer feature into a file format that suits you?
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Definitely log & transfer using Canon plugin in FCP7. It'll let you rename the files as you go - they'll be in capture scratch folder as either native files rewrapped in a .mov or as ProRes files, depending on your prefs. Everything joined up as they should be.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Do others transfer the files from the cards to a hard drive in the field, or do you have enough cards to bring them in each day to transfer them in the evening?

Is one way preferred over the other?
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Major Player

I have heard that it is possible to copy the entire directory over and then log and transfer that directory when its already on the hard disk, but I always had enough space on my cards to shoot what I needed and then transfer in one shot.

I would just load the camera up with 2 x 32GB P2's and bring plenty of batteries. Never one problem. Now, when I shoot with DSLR, I have multiple CF cards that I swap and just do it all later, so I would have to say it really depends on price of the storage medium haha

At my old job there were plenty of P2s to go around, but now that I shoot for myself (and Canon, not Panasonic) I find myself using multiple cards and swapping them out during the day.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders