White Balance methods and CP files on the XF300/305 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:24 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: White Balance methods and CP files on the XF300/305

Hi Jeff,

I am MOVING towards seldom if ever using auto-anything, but I'm not far off of auto-everything. Part of that comes from limited time to do video shooting. I'll do none for weeks, then TONS in three days - and then it's panic mode, how do I do that, oh, heck, just leave it on manual. But I'm getting much better, primarily because I'm seeing significantly better results on manual.

The LitePanel stuff is really good, but REALLY expensive. I'm just starting to see in retail shops around here good but cheaper stuff. Samy's in LA (fairly close to me) has a few lights that look interesting. I think the next lighting I'll get will have variable color temperature - to make it easier to match lighting. Ikan makes one that seems interesting: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/693601-REG/Ikan_MULTI_K_Multi_K_Variable_Color_Temperature.html - but it's no bigger than my LitePanel Micropro.

Auto focus was ONE of the issues with shooting with my 5DII - you could push a button and get it focused, but there was no auto focusing during shooting. For Run/Gun stuff or rapidly changing/unknown environments, that's just silly to try to do. I added a 5" Marshall screen to my 5DII to help with that, but even then it was hard unless it was indoors and a static subject. But I don't do this all the time, so I'm not really one to say. Pros can just make it happen because they know their equipment inside and out.

Larry
Larry Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #17
Major Player

Re: White Balance methods and CP files on the XF300/305

I am with Jeff on this one 90% Larry, I have not tried Face Recognition feature but will try it out to see how it copes.

"I do use Peaking (color Red) alot! And although I don't have anything on Auto, I also use the Auto Focus button just to double check my focus."

100% on this one and I also turn the picture on the LCD to black and white so the red is even more prominent for focus. You can set up a button so that it zooms in, changes to black and white and shows peaking at the same time. It works during filming too :) - note that it is only your LCD that zooms and not your recorded media.
If you press the button again it reverts back to colour and your normal zoom on the LCD so you can concentrate on framing etc........

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders